Menu

Caribbean relocation ideas?

creekland

Just sold 5 ponies this morning (to the same show buyer).  That's a record for me - 3 having been my previous high, though that's when we had 20+ on our farm.  This time we have 10, 9 of which were for sale (the other is already sold).  That means as soon as these leave I'll be down to 4... and we have another buyer who liked one of those.  If he comes back we'll be down to three (two broodmares and our stallion).

We haven't been so low in our "pony count" since we bought the place as I rather immediately stocked it.

Seems the Powers that Be might be looking favorably on our thoughts of moving.   :coolgleamA:   

Of course, it might also have helped that one of my homebreds recently won a state championship... and this buyer tracked down siblings - finding the last one we have - and then 4 more of our youngsters (half siblings - same sire - two yearlings and two weanlings).  ;)

Still - all favorable winds to continue my research I think.

I'm soon to have a LOT more free time to do it too.

• Like 4

Just sold 5 ponies this morning (to the same show buyer).  That's a record for me - 3 having been my previous high, though that's when we had 20+ on our farm.  This time we have 10, 9 of which were for sale (the other is already sold).  That means as soon as these leave I'll be down to 4... and we have another buyer who liked one of those.  If he comes back we'll be down to three (two broodmares and our stallion).

We haven't been so low in our "pony count" since we bought the place as I rather immediately stocked it.

Seems the Powers that Be might be looking favorably on our thoughts of moving.   :coolgleamA:   

Of course, it might also have helped that one of my homebreds recently won a state championship... and this buyer tracked down siblings - finding the last one we have - and then 4 more of our youngsters (half siblings - same sire - two yearlings and two weanlings).   ;)

Still - all favorable winds to continue my research I think.

I'm soon to have a LOT more free time to do it too.

It's fun when everything starts flowing together...

• Like 1

Colombia is a very strong ally of the USA (possibly the only one in Latin America) and I like that. Very stable government.

Colombia is also a refugee producing nation.  More than 17,000 Colombian refugees have arrived in Canada over the last ten years. I know several personally. 

We live (lived) on the Dutch side of St. Maarten, close to the border with the French side.  There is no border patrol; we'll often drive (or jog or bike!) to the French side.  Our condo is in this resort:

http://www.portocupecoy.com

There are other housing options that are more affordable.  Yes, gorgeous is the word I'd use. 

English is the primary language on the Dutch side.  On the French side, you'll hear a mix of French and English.  Neither I nor my wife know French.  Well, I took it in high school, but alas forgot most of it.  When on the French side, I try to use a few French words (e.g., Bonjour or Merci) out of politeness, but otherwise will communicate in English.   

If you decide to visit the island for research purposes, let me know and you might be able to stay in our condo. 

Just letting you know St Maarten has vaulted to the top of our list of places we're interested in after basic research... Considering the island didn't even make my first list, I really appreciate your suggestion (and the Hive in general with all of its collective experience and willingness to share).

Do you like the Cupecoy area in general?  

--------------------

We are still considering other places too - just in case folks want to keep offering thoughts.  We have at least a year and a half before we can leave.

Just letting you know St Maarten has vaulted to the top of our list of places we're interested in after basic research... Considering the island didn't even make my first list, I really appreciate your suggestion (and the Hive in general with all of its collective experience and willingness to share).

Do you like the Cupecoy area in general? 

Cool!  Yes, we enjoy the Cupecoy area of St. Maarten.  We originally moved to the island because my wife became a professor at the medical school (AUC), which is in Cupecoy.  At first, we were renting an apartment at Rainbow Beach Club in Cupecoy.  Mullet Bay Beach, perhaps the nicest beach on the Dutch side of the island, is walking distance from Cupecoy.  I like areas where we can walk to various activities.  So in addition to Cupecoy, I would consider Simpson Bay and Maho.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Barbados is one I've looked at since starting this thread (that global property site made it pretty easy to look at all the islands in brief).  The main problem is their property prices are a bit higher due to lack of supply.  They don't have mountains, but at least have reasonable size hills, so that's not a dealbreaker.

It's definitely an island I'd love to explore (love their flag as well as their beaches/scenery, etc).

Trust your SIL and her brother enjoy their island?

They certainly do enjoy it! Most of the family relocated to FL but one brother is still there. He is a brilliant photographer.

• Like 1

Cool!  Yes, we enjoy the Cupecoy area of St. Maarten.  We originally moved to the island because my wife became a professor at the medical school (AUC), which is in Cupecoy.  At first, we were renting an apartment at Rainbow Beach Club in Cupecoy.  Mullet Bay Beach, perhaps the nicest beach on the Dutch side of the island, is walking distance from Cupecoy.  I like areas where we can walk to various activities.  So in addition to Cupecoy, I would consider Simpson Bay and Maho.  Good luck!

This sounds ideal for us.  I was looking at the Rainbow Beach Club condos earlier yesterday.  I like the idea that we could live there part time and rent it out at other times if we wanted to travel (or snowbird) ourselves.

I talked with my mom about the idea last night.  She's in favor... of at least visiting for a month or so and seeing how it appeals in person.  It'll still have to wait until 2018 though - we're not cancelling this year's plans and we need college payments to end before we can go anyway.

• Like 1

They certainly do enjoy it! Most of the family relocated to FL but one brother is still there. He is a brilliant photographer.

I think my ideal "next life" is going to include visiting as many Caribbean islands as we can - long enough that we can really get to know them and their intricacies.   I don't know that "ideal" can happen (vs "real life"), but it is fun to dream.