Menu

Today is World Kindness Day

MSNative

Normally I don't care about these types of days. I mean I drink coffee everyday so is that really celebrating Nat coffee day? But with everything going on in the States I think world kindest day couldn't come at a better time Imo. Let's spread some positivity.

What act of kindness will you always remember?

I'll start. When we first moved we joined a couple of co-ops to meet people. Two were really impersonal and we didn't meet anyone. Then halfway through the year we started with a new co-op. In the very first class one boy immediately said hey guys you can sit next to me. 💜 we are still at that co-op. That little act of kindness made a big difference to us.

• Like 4

An act of kindness I will always remember...

Well, there are several but one that comes to mind regards my SIL.  She took her very old car to a newly opened car wash to try and get it cleaned up a bit.  She accidentally locked her keys in her car and could not get the car door open to retrieve the keys.  She could not reach any of her family and she was going to have to pick up her daughter with special health issues very soon.  One of the car wash workers, a total stranger, could see she was in distress and inquired what was wrong.  When she told him, he tried to help but could not open the door.  He lent her his truck so she could drive home and get her second set of keys.

• Like 4

Twenty five years ago I was in a depression due to having my income suddenly and drastically cut, with no ability to change my situation in the short term. There's some backstory of having my dad walk out in us and experiencing that risk of homelessness as a child that really scarred me. I struggle irrationally with that fear to this day. In any case, I was at a very low point for weeks and an older woman started chatting with me at the post office, telling me a story about angels. I didn't tell her a thing about myself and her chatter was unrelated to anything. But her sweetness to me at that weak point started a shift in my mood that was lasting. I even wondered afterward if she was an angel, for the effect she had on me.

And here I am still remembering that five minute chat with a stranger twenty five years later.

Perhaps because of that encounter, I always try to be kind to strangers wherever and whenever I meet them (even grumpy people) because you never know what someone is going through and what a little kindness might do.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1