Menu

Let's talk grammar stage science

MyLife

Hi Everyone! Last year, I used Kitchen Science Lab with my kiddos, and they really enjoyed it. We didn't get anywhere near finishing it, and they still beg to do it this year. I wanted to do a more formal science this year and chose Apologia Astronomy. We just finished the Earth chapter. Here's the problem. . .

1. They are already kinda bored with astronomy as a whole. We could have easily studied astronomy for a couple of months and moved on to something else.

2. Since they are bored, it is hard for them to pay attention.

3. I would like to finish studying the solar system but do not necessarily want to spend the entire school year on it. 

4. I would like to work on Kitchen Science Lab at least once a week but feel like we do not have the time because of astronomy.

5. We are using astronomy in a class. So, we can't just completely ditch it.

What are you suggestions for completing this school year?

What would you recommend for next year? I am not AT ALL familiar with science curriculum, so please include the whole name of the curriculum before using abbreviations. 

I was kinda curious about BJU and A Reason for Science,  but I am open to other suggestions.

You might look at RS4K for a ten week/ten lesson astronomy course with ten experiments. Then it would be easy to fit in your Kitchen Science Lab when you want. It's very good scientific language written in a very easy to understand elementary level. If you are looking for YE creation, they are neutral, I believe, but you might want to check their position in astronomy as it is most relevant there.

• Like 1

My personal favorite for elementary is Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.  It is NOT open-and-go, but it is complete and wonderful and there is no boredom factor because you move between the various branches of science.  I don't follow it to a T, but I refer to it ALL THE TIME when making our eclectic science plans.  It is real science, and not a bunch of fluff the way some elementary programs can be.  

• Like 2

I'd do the thing everyone likes and ditch the thing no one likes. If you finish this year strong... enjoying science...I bet your way forward next year will easily come into focus.