Menu

Need a curriculum suggestion

happycc

For a child with severe articulation ie Apraxia and fine motor skills issue still fisting with forks, spoons,  thick writing implements and thick paint brushes

Curriculums that have them rhyming and doing phonemic awareness work orally just would not work because his sounds don't come out the same each time or even close to it. 

Thinking of using About 3 workbooks from Rod and Staff  to work on cutting, pasting etc and then the workbooks after that. 

Then Memoria Press Special needs A 

I would love a secular version of this program so our charter school can buy it. 

Thoughts anyone else? 

Edited by happycc

If the dc is 3/4, around that age we were doing (and this is just my memory, I don't keep lists)

Lauri puzzles

Kumon workbooks of mazes

Kumon fold it pages

Kumon cut it

maybe some simple art kits from Timberdoodle like Djeco where you dot paint with your fingers

MP picture study cards

MFW pre-k activity cards (highly recommend!)

MFW K5 (for letter of the week theming)

MFW music cd that we could dance to (fun!)

a book of kinesthetic activities to go with each letter of the alphabet

Saxon K5 math (adorable, gentle)

lots of games (Catan Jr, memory, Toot and Otto, etc.)

lots of playmobil

My ds is very kinesthetic, so with him everything is in motion.  We still do a lot of the types of things listed there.  So I'd definitely look for how he learns, where you can connect with him.  

There's a really superb book on "rapid prompting" which is a teach method and not the PROMPT speech therapy.  I suppose rapid prompting can inspire people on lots of levels, but what I took from it was to give them more ways to respond and not assume that the speech coming out was the only thing they had.  So, for instance, there's a really terrific workbook Attention Good Listeners that would be GREAT with a non-verbal student who was ready for it.  I'm not saying do it with a 3 yo necessarily.  I'm just suggesting you read the Rapid Prompting book to have more tools on how to work with him.

Good luck finding a curriculum package that works for this child.  For right now, things in the Timberdoodle cores might appeal to him and be your best bet. I've found a lot of gems for my ds there.  But to buy curriculum that just fits him?  Ha.  I mean, right now you're just thinking about the apraxia and compliance or whatever your hot button issues are.  When we finally dug in with more detailed language testing, my ds wasn't understanding a lot, a LOT.  So to sit and do Sonlight or something with him?  It definitely wasn't workable a year or two ago.  If you want Sonlight but secular, you're talking Bookshark.  Now with the language work we've done AND the ABA to help him connect with books, maybe we could get there?  It would definitely be an idea.  But to use something like VP, like I did with my older dc, fat chance.  You've got the whole am I into it (from the autism), the do I comprehend the language (from the autism), etc.

I will say that he is just now, as a supposed 2nd grader, newly 8, JUST NOW to the point where he seems bored enough that it might be nice to have some continuity, rather than just random exposures for things.  But really, for the last how many years, random has been MORE than enough.  And maybe your dc will be different.  I'm just saying those weren't the eggs we needed to fry.  We had to work on language, compliance, the foundational stuff.  Now at 8 he's more in a position to maybe do some neat things sometimes.  But even then he's still fragile.  My MIL passed, and it just totally, totally disrupted him, our family, etc.  

Edited by OhElizabeth

Oh Elizabeth: Thank you Thank you.

Yes yes Looked into the Timberdoodle stuff just yesterday. You are on the same wavelength as I am.

I guess why I am looking at a curriculum like Moving Beyond the Page is that I NEED some kind of structure. 

If it is random half hazard, I will feel nuts.

I need structure and organization. 

I tried to get Prompt Speech btw---can't get anyone out in the Bay Area. ARGH

Yes I have rapid prompting in my Amazon cart right now ready to order but just waiting for better pay from husbands work

He's been watching CHALK online preschool. They have two month free trial. It is pretty good. My seven years old really likes it too. 

You did K5 work with a 3/4 yrs old child? 

Yes I have some art kits/craft kits for him. He doesn't like to get his fingers/hands "dirty". But we will continue doing them.

Sonlight/Bookshark will not work. I will lose my voice. Tried it before. I did one month before with older kids and lost my voice for three months. 

I am going to try those Rod and staff preschool books. Kumon just bugs me for some reason. I think its the glossy glare on them and the smooth texture makes it hard to grip or something for the kiddos. 

I will check on your resources and see what you used. 

I am thinking Education Unboxed?

Nope, haven't used Education Unboxed.  Ronit Bird has been very good for us.  

If money is tight, wait on the Rapid Prompting book.  There's quite a bit online about it you can see for free.

I used some MBP with my dd years and years ago.  It's very schooly, written by a teacher.  I guess look at the samples.  They've probably added lots of units since then.

Yes, my ds is gifted.  I did the BJU science and heritage studies 2 with him in K5 and he blew through it.  My dd just suggested I get him the BJU physical science videos when they go on sale.  We'll see.  He's just all over the place.  Things like 6+2 are hard and spatial stuff is easy.  I'm just kinda rolling with it.  I give him all kinds of things on his kindle, everything from Great Courses college lectures and adult books on WWII, history of medicine, etc., to Ramona Quimby, kwim?  I need to go get him some picture books on heaven.  He's really distressed with his grandma dying and has had a hard time settling back into a routine.  It has just been extreme, and we're still trying to work out how to deal with that.  

Wow, that's a bummer that you couldn't find PROMPT.  Not to be dumb, but by Bay you mean in CA?  I'd be happy to look at the provider maps with you and see if there is someone.  I swear they hide more people than they help you find.

• Like 1

I sent you a few names.  I got them from the PROMPT Institute website by limiting to people who had completed Bridging or were certified or instructor.  The PROMPT website is NOT update, really not.  You could also go through it and call people who it says have only done intro.  They may have gone on and done Bridging or be working on certification and the site just isn't up to date.  I *know* this is true in our state, so it may be true in yours also.

And of course you'll want to call and talk with each one about what they actually do, whether they do pure PROMPT or blend it with other things, etc. etc.

• Like 1

Yes I called Prompt Headquarters and they had no one in SF Bay Area. Specifically East Bay. 

I like Moving Beyond the Page a lot but my son is just not ready. Just need something to start with next year and then when he is ready for Moving Beyond the Page we will go that direction. 

Will check on Ronit Bird

We didn't get an apraxia diagnosis until my child was 5 and in K, but we had used hooked on phonics and had good luck with that. For writing, we used Handwriting without tears, and although it wasn't quite the promised tear-free experience, it did work. My sports-loving kid got a lot of motor practice with balls. They also liked stringing beads on pipecleaners and playing with little figures (think army men or polly pockets). We had an unusual presentation, though - the therapists were shocked that somebody whose speech was so bad could read so well, and dispite having a lot of somewhat unusual movements, the kid has pretty good handwriting these days and does well in sports (although it takes a lot more practice than for most)...but we're still in speech therapy, 5 years later. 2e've finally progressed to working on Rs so the end is in sight. Good luck!

• Like 1

Kaiser wont say it is apraxia and they won't say it is.. Sigh!

But I checked out Ivy Kids and liked their kits for something quick and easy to tide us over for the next couple of months while I agonize over this. 

http://ivy-kids.com/

Here is a list of subscription kits  and there is a sensory box subscription kit too. 

http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/47867/10-subscription-craft-boxes-for-kids-compared

I also like Brainy Kit. Montessori  based. 

I think M is for Monsters is cute too. 

I don't want a subscription but love the individual kits. 

Edited by happycc