Menu

Algebra for struggling student (switching from CLE)

DD15 did CLE math up to grade 8 but found it that level difficult and didn't even finish the last three lightunits. While I have been looking what to do next we have been reviewing concepts using ctc math and an old textbook etc. 

DD11 is using Math U See (alpha to epsilon) and I like the dvd instruction and the way concepts are explained. 

I gave DD15 the math u see placement test and she placed in Algebra. I know math u see is considered light but I have read that some Moms using it as a pre algebra before moving onto something else so I am keeping that in mind as a possibility later on. 

Any thoughts on switching to Math U See at this level?

Would she miss the main benefits of math u see because she didn't do the elementary years? 

Edited by morningcoffee

Mathusee Algebra has been a wonderful choice for us.  We hadn't used Mathusee since Beta or Gamma.  It's not a problem at all.  My dd is a math-hater, however, so our Mathusee Algebra is in fact our Algebra.  We're also using Mathusee Geometry (since we ended up taking two years for Algebra because I had been using Horizons Algebra and switched) and plan to continue on with Mathusee through PreCalc.

• Like 1

The only thing I would caution is that MUS draws the line between algebra 1 and algebra 2 earlier than others. Their algebra 1 may not be enough to prepare for another publisher's algebra 2. If you stay with MUS, you'll get everything eventually, but it does start a little slow.

• Like 1