Menu

Metamorphoses Ovid - PG?

Totally depends on what they've done with this particular narrative version.  The stories of Ovid, and ancient mythology in general, are riddled with sex and violence - gods raping mortal women is a common theme. Then there are stories like Niobe's - she angers Artemis and Apollo kills all 12 of her children in front of her. In the story of Bacchus & Pentheus, Pentheus is ripped to shreds by his mother in a Bacchic frenzy. So yes, there is lots and lots of sex and violence inherent in the mythology. If you're concerned a pre-reading or pre-skimming of the stories is your best bet.  Different translations and adaptations may omit or tone down some of the stories. The originals are pretty much chock full of violence, though.

• Like 4

I haven't read that translation, but looking at the TOC, that's the full Monty - all the stories are included. So yes, some will be gruesome and/or violent.

My dd read this version: Tales from Ovid translated by Ted Hughes. It's a beautiful translation, definitely true to the original, but it's selected tales, not all the stories. It still has some of the violent ones, but it's definitely tamer than the Rolf Humpries version that I read, which looks very similar to the one that you have. The Hughes version is a much gentler introduction to Ovid than the full version.  While still being a high school/adult level version, not a children's version.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 2