Menu

quick guide to diagramming sentences?

MeganW

My son completed Shurley Grammar 4 last year, and is in the midst of SG5 this year.  His cousin keeps talking about diagramming sentences, and my son really really REALLY wants to learn it.  (This is completely confirming all my parents' worries about homeschooling producing weird kids, but that's another story.)

I am NOT looking to leave Shurley Grammar, but if we could take a month or two or three and get an overview of diagramming, it would make him happy.  

This is my smart kid who picks things up fairly quickly.  Can you recommend a resource for a quick overview of diagramming?  

We have the First Whole Book of Diagrams.  If you click the expanded view you can see sample - one page of diagrammed examples, followed by one page that is blank except for the lines drawn.  It starts simply (subject-predicate) and slowly builds to more complex sentences.  There is a teacher's guide in the back if necessary but most kids get the gist by looking at the progression.  And it makes diagramming actually beautiful, imo. :)