Menu

Results of the election & Christian higher ed.

This is why the Federal govt. has no business funding education. I don't want to pay for secular indoctrination, and many of you don't want to pay for Christian indoctrination. I dare say many Christian institutions might regrow some of their backbone if they were cut off from the govt. teat. There are still a few Christian colleges left that take no federal money whatsoever, and therefore have complete freedom in hiring practices and student selection. He who pays the piper calls the tune - that is just the way the universe works, and there is no getting around it. My $.02!

Just another thought (and I'm just using Christianity as the example, but you can apply it to any other religion as well) :

How would a non-Christian teacher at a Christian university teach some of the more abstract, intangible things about that faith? Not all courses offered at Christian universities are based purely on studies of the Bible, Biblical or church history, etc. Some courses automatically assume Christian belief. For example, courses titled "Experiencing God; Knowing and Doing the Will of God" or "Growing in Your Relationship with Christ" - how could someone who isn't a Christian teach things like this? For some aspects of faith, there is no go-to manual for a teacher to have studied, enabling him/her to learn it and then turn around and teach it. To pass along certain things pertaining to religious faith it takes more than a teacher can learn from books. It takes belief, passion, committment, and personal experience.

Could it really be deemed discriminatory to deny a person a position teaching a class such as the ones I described because they don't subscribe to the very beliefs they are supposed to be conveying?

If this sort of legislation was passed, Christian colleges may be forced to hire non- or even anti-Christians. Some may be as extreme as to see it as an opportunity to bring their own anti-Christian personal beliefs or otherwise conflicting agenda into those classes, which would be a disservice to the students who signed up specifically for Christian instruction.

They wouldn't be forced to hire non-Christians, they simply would not be permitted to discriminate, should any non-Christians who are qualified for the positions happen to apply for the job.

I can't imagine why anyone who is not Christian would apply to teach a class about Christianity at a Christian college. And furthermore, even if they did apply, they would clearly not be qualified. That's not discrimination, that's just common sense, IMO.

If an institution is truly discriminatory, then I don't believe they should be entitled to federal funds.

I can't imagine why anyone who is not Christian would apply to teach a class about Christianity at a Christian college. And furthermore, even if they did apply, they would clearly not be qualified. That's not discrimination, that's just common sense, IMO.

Am I to gather that Liberty University, then, has hired a practicing Muslim to teach ICST 431 Introduction to Islam? A practicing Roman Catholic to teach ICST 421 Roman Catholicism? Surely an Evangelical Protestant Christian is clearly not qualified to teach a class on Roman Catholicism, nor any sort of Christian a class on Islam?

The difference is, all those classes are secular in nature. I don't want my tax dollars spent on a religious education, regardless of the religion. I don't want my tax dollars spent on any faith based initiatives, education, welfare programs, or research. Any faith. The government spends tax money on many things I don't agree with, not the least of which is public education, yet there's a need for that and so I wouldn't vote against it. Faith based doesn't mean Christian Only. The Christians don't own the rights to faith. I used the analogy of abortion in my post because that's an issue that many faith based voters object to having their tax money spent on, and I understand their displeasure. Their displeasure is comparative to mine, as far as where tax money is spent.

But why is it I can't expect the same consideration to be given to my children who attend state universities. they are daily vilified by the professors as "ignorant if they believe in anything other than Darwinism". Then they have the legal freedom to espouse their beliefs in open classrooms that are federally funded. My friends child had to report a professor who spent most of his class ridiculing the child for believing in God. They suggested she change class as that was "how that teacher believed". double standard anyone?

If state or private colleges cannot "indoctrinate" Christian beliefs, because that is what we are talking about here, then I demand equal protection against atheistic, muslim, hinduism, buddism or any other form of belief system for my children in any state or private university or school. Teach the material for each classs and keep the commentary to yourself. That would be satisfactory to me and to most Christians. We send our children to college for the diploma and the education. We provide the belief system. I won't shove mine down your throat as long as you don't shove yours down mine.

then I demand equal protection against atheistic, muslim, hinduism, buddism or any other form of belief system for my children in any state or private university or school.

That is truly, truly sad. Why would anyone want their own children to grow up to be ignorant of the beliefs of others? I just don't get it. I mean, then having whatever religion they want is fine and all - as long as it is what THEY want, not what MOMMY wants. Our children are human beings with their own thoughts, dreams, and goals- not extensions of us. Hearing other POV that differ from what they have learned at home is the only way for kids to spread their wings and fly, to make decisions about what they think, and feel, and believe.

If my kid had only lived in a Christian bubble her whole life I would be profusely thanking that professor who challenged her belief in God. After all, if it is just something they do because they were indoctrinated or brainwashed, it's not true belief, is it?