Menu

Fine Arts credit for high school

Sorry for all the questions, but I have an 8th grader and I'm already freaking out about high school. Anyway, I'm starting to plan high school courses and realized we'll need a fine arts credit. My son isn't all that interested in art, music, or performing arts, so I'm trying to think outside the box. He is very interested in history and will probably end up as a history major. I realized that he enjoys armor model building and spends a lot of time researching things like methods and historically accurate paint jobs.  I've found some excellent books on methods of model and diorama building. Is it realistic to think a course designed around this interest can count for a high school fine arts credit?

In case it doesn't pan out to create your own Fine Arts course, below are more ideas -- I'm partial to the Film Appreciation course idea, as I'm leading a co-op class in that topic right now ;). I have several students who are not at all interested in the typical art/music/theater/dance options, but who seem to be enjoying the class! ?

Appreciation Course
(learn history, artists, movements, and deeper understanding of specific works in a specific medium)
- Film
- Art
- Architecture
- Music
- Drama/Theater
- Dance

Digital Arts -- use of computer to create art
- image manipulation software
- music creation/composing software
- graphic design
- web design
- animation

Visual Arts -- creating art
- print-making, silk screening, etc.
- drawing, painting
- photography
- filmmaking

Studio Arts -- creating with hands-on media
- jewelry-making
- pottery
- sculpture
- woodworking
- metal work, welding
- glassblowing / glass fusing / stained glass
- blacksmithing

Performance Arts -- performing/doing
- music (instrument, voice, composing, songwriting, etc.)
- drama (theater performance, directing, staging / stagecraft, set design, costume design, etc.)
- dance (choreography; performance of ballet, jazz, modern, ballroom, hip-hop and other urban dance styles, etc.)

Design / Principles / Fundamentals / Theory
- design principles -- visual arts course focusing on color, line form, structure, etc.
- music theory -- course focusing on understanding of chords, key signature, "time", musical structure, etc.

Another option is to pick 4 topics and do each topic for 9 weeks and call the course "Introduction to Fine Arts", or, "Overview of Fine Arts".

Edited by Lori D.