Menu

Rod and Staff English Question (cross-posted to high school board)

I teach writing to middle school and high school students and seem to have a much higher percentage of them who used Rod and Staff than I have in the past.

We used it for phonics ages ago, but I really am not familiar with it past that level at all. After that we used Classical Conversations Essentials which is Shurley-like with diagramming and more memory work and IEW.

Which book would help me to see how they learned grammar and what their writing assignments are like in general?

I'm guessing the 6th grade book from what I've seen of the TOC's online but would appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

Yes, 5th or 6th grade book should do it...really anything from grade 5 on. They all sort of seem the same.  However, I've been told that the last two..9th and 10th grade are different from the middle grades books, so maybe look at anything from years 5-8?

I used it for grammar in years 5-8, but always skipped the writing exercises.

I teach writing to middle school and high school students and seem to have a much higher percentage of them who used Rod and Staff than I have in the past.

We used it for phonics ages ago, but I really am not familiar with it past that level at all. After that we used Classical Conversations Essentials which is Shurley-like with diagramming and more memory work and IEW.

Which book would help me to see how they learned grammar and what their writing assignments are like in general?

I'm guessing the 6th grade book from what I've seen of the TOC's online but would appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

"Progressing With Courage" (6th) would be sort of the culmination of the first five books (no English in first grade).

Things change drastically with "Building Securely" (7th), especially with composition.

You can get free curriculum samples through sixth grade by calling the publisher at (606) 522-4348.