Menu

College

My thoughts on music as an extracurricular activity... I think it is already well established with ABRSM etc... NYO doesn't really add that much for a math kid. But, a great recommendation from his national orchestra concert master teacher is hugely influential. So the question is, can you get a glowing "he's the most talented kid I've ever had who chose to pursue another field and boy do we all rue the loss" type recommendation, I don't know what recommendations look like in NZ. I wouldn't do anything beyond interest level for extracurricular, but I'd do a bit more to maintain the relationship and get that letter... not as much as trying out for NYO but somewhat more than currently.

• Like 2

Very good point, Raptor Dad.  It will be very hard for me to predict recommendations from NZ, because this is where 'tall poppies get cut down.'  The culture is to not brag, so I'm not sure how a NZ recommendation (which would be glowing here) will sound like in the USA.  The concert master, of course, teaches some amazing kids, he just finished with the #1-ranked teen violinist in the country, and one of his other students is a child prodigy who travels 2 hours each way for lessons.  So, nope, not  going to get a recommendation that says ds is gob smackingly awesome.  But ds is currently his best student (he only has 6), and by the time ds goes off to college he will have worked with him for 6 years, so I was definitely hoping he would write a recommendation.  Also, the his daughter goes to Princeton, so perhaps he knows what it takes.  I don't know.  

Edited by lewelma

I just want to thank everyone for giving me some great advice and lots to think about.  I'm guessing my questions will get more pointed once I can lay out the big picture plan.  It is very tricky to switch course mid-stream in high school to be competitive in a different country.  I need to start reading all those threads linked at the top, but it is pretty intimidating, I will say.

• Like 1

I just want to thank everyone for giving me some great advice and lots to think about.  I'm guessing my questions will get more pointed once I can lay out the big picture plan.  It is very tricky to switch course mid-stream in high school to be competitive in a different country.  I need to start reading all those threads linked at the top, but it is pretty intimidating, I will say.

I have read what you write at your son, and I am impressed - don't be intimidated. His education sounds awesome, and with his math credentials he will undoubtedly stand out. I would suggest that you contact each of the schools directly and explain your situation, and ask what they would like to see. Good luck.

• Like 4

Banking - he will need to do a lot of networking while at uni, and he'd probably have to sacrifice summers at home for the ability to intern.

The summer internships at my DH's old employer (a bulge bracket bank) are in either Manhattan or London. His post-graduation job was in San Francisco but that was after spending the previous summer in Manhattan. I think he would've preferred London but he's not an EU citizen.

• Like 2

I would like to recommend Barbara Hettle if you need some extra hand holding. She was a boardie here as well (BarbaraH I think?). I did not go to school here in the US and everything seemed so foreign to me when I first started looking at the pinned threads and all the other requirements. Barbara has a lot of experience with mathy students like your son, and applying to selective unis. If anything, she will at least be able to give you some idea of how to approach the applications with what he already has and fine tune where needed. We didn't pay for the full package, only some hourly help, and she has been nothing short of kind, helpful and realistic given our slightly unique situation.

Just a thought.

Edited by quark
  • Like 2