Menu

Silly me! I'm betraying my nerves about the PSAT here -

but let's say that a nervous mother in a Midwestern state (excluding present company, of course) is wondering how to figure out her dc's potential PSAT score, based upon practice tests, how would such a mother do that?

For example, say that said child in question took the two Critical Reading sections and came out with a raw score (made up here--REALLY!) of 42; then, the raw Math score for all three sections came to 30 (made up number again), and then had a writing skills score of 33. Those numbers add up to 105. Does said mother take those sample scores and double them for the Selection Index?

And, of course, a disclaimer for this mother: this mother is fully aware that any scores on the practice tests are not necessarily the same as the final score--the Selection Index--on the real test.

This is all a hypothetical example, BTW! :D (Except that the numbers are truly made up!)

I'm using scores that were similar to (but higher than) what dd got last year, and her Selection Index was much higher than 105, so I'm thinking maybe you take those three scores and add them up and then double them? Or, am I missing something here? :confused:

Edited by Michelle in MO
correction

but let's say that a nervous mother in a Midwestern state (excluding present company, of course) is wondering how to figure out her dc's potential PSAT score, based upon practice tests, how would such a mother do that?

For example, say that said child in question took the two Critical Reading sections and came out with a raw score (made up here--REALLY!) of 42; then, the raw Math score for all three sections came to 30 (made up number again), and then had a writing skills score of 33. Those numbers add up to 105. Does said mother take those sample scores and double them for the Selection Index?

And, of course, a disclaimer for this mother: this mother is fully aware that any scores on the practice tests are not necessarily the same as the final score--the Selection Index--on the real test.

This is all a hypothetical example, BTW! :D (Except that the numbers are truly made up!)

Hmmm...I'm thinking you have only 3 of the 5 total test sections - Critical Reading and Math have two sections each, and there is one section of writing, for a total of 5 sections.

actually scratch that - what you need is the conversion tables :)

Critical reading - 42 = 71

Math 30 =64

Writing 33 = 66

Total score = 201

:)

Edited by readwithem

Okay so if I use the 2007 PSAT Score Conversion Table --Wed Test

42 raw score is 70 scaled

30 raw sore is 64 scaled

33 is 64 scaled

Selection index 70+64+64=198