Menu

PSA for kids who like Manga...

I just wanted to say that my daughter and I are having a terrific time with The Manga Guide to Physiology as part of our human body study. I originally got it because I thought she'd find it fun fluff and spark her interest in the subject, but these books are not fluff at all. She is learning so much. Who knew??? Just wanted to share in case there are others out there with Manga loving kids. 

• Like 6

I hope you like it. We've been using it as our main book/spine and sprouting off from there. Some of the stuff is really complex and beyond what she needs to know so for each chapter I create a worksheet that she fills in and it lets her know that is the information I want her to know and understand. Yesterday we found a video series that is free if you have Amazon Prime. It's called Anatomy for Beginners. We watched the episode called 'Circulation' because the first two chapters in the Manga book are the circulatory and respiratory systems. It was absolutely fascinating but I will warn you to look at it before you let your child watch. It is done by the same people who did the 'Body Exhibit' a while ago. In the video they cut open a real dead person and show you the heart and lungs. They introduce artificial blood so you can see the vascular nature of organs like the intestines (to appreciate the work the heart does) and they pump air into the lungs so you can see them breathe, the diaphragm contract and expand. It was amazing. They also have other specimens and a live person on whom an anatomical artist draws the circulatory system so you can see it move as she breathes. She is nude. It was done with respect and completely professionally. My daughter was fine with it but I know not everyone would be. But if your daughter can handle it, it was truly fascinating. Just be prepared that one of the doctors is Polish and his German accent is very thick :-). 

• Like 2