Menu

Kaplan SAT Test Prep online, on sale today only

Kaplan's online PSAT or SAT test prep program is available on the Homeschool Buyer's Coop just today, for $99.  Is that a good deal, and is it worth it?  DS is taking the PSAT for the first time in a month.  The subscription is for 6 months, so I am wondering if it would be better to just go ahead and get the SAT prep instead of the PSAT prep.  What is the difference?  I thought it was the same stuff.  Are they different enough that we'd need both?

I know Khan has prep online for free, so I don't want to pay for this if it's not really worth it.  But from some reading online reviews, it looks like Kaplan has a lot of test strategy type info, which would probably be helpful.

Any thoughts?  Anyone used this?

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/kaplan-sat/?c=1

• Like 1

Because the SAT has changed so much and because the College Board has an official tie in with Khan Academy, if my DD needed to study now, I would strongly suggest she limit her study for the SAT to Khan Academy. To me, at this time, any other source claiming to have the latest and greatest information about the new SAT probably does not have the latest and greatest information. I am not positive about that. I am assuming. But, I don't think I would be spending $99.

I was planning for my DD to take the PSAT during October 2016 (she recently began 10th grade), but I think probably now it will be better for her to take the PSAT when she is a Junior. There are some Scholarship things in addition to NM that one can indicate an interest in, when they take the PSAT.  I am assuming there is more Math on the SAT than the PSAT (Algebra 2 and some basic Trig, which they've probably been exposed to before Pre Calc.  Also, more Science on the SAT.   If by any chance your DS is Hispanic, when he takes the PSAT there is a thing for Hispanic students. 5K of 250K get something they can put on their university applications, that may help them get scholarships for HIspanic students. My DD is Hispanic (we live in Colombia and her mother is Colombian) so I want her to do that and that's for Juniors who take the PSAT. 

• Like 1