Menu

Laura in CA and others re: UC acceptance...

mirabillis

I thought I might find you here.

I was hoping to PM you regarding a post I came across in a thread entitled a-g requirements awhile back but PM is not working.

Yvonne, I'll answer your questions briefly here, but I'm in the process of writing up a more detailed (and more private) account -- because a lot of people are curious how an independent homeschooler got into Cal. I'll try to finish that within a week or so, while everything is still fresh in my mind. So please do PM me in a few days.

You indicated you were writing up a detailed/private account of how an independent homeschooler got into Cal. If you have that still, I would LOVE it. I am in mad research mode as we began 9th grade last week, and I'm now ready to blow up my plans in favor of A-G approved courses, AP classes, etc.

I'd love to know just what you used to fulfill your requirements. If someone who has btdt could point me in the right direction, I could follow their lead and know what online courses to sign up for or curricula choices might suit.

Anyone else who have kids admitted into UC schools - please share with me what online providers/what curricula you opted for. I would LOVE the help!!! I feel I'm drowning in what to do/not to do. Please help!

THANKS!

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 1

Thank you quark. I appreciate it. I've bookmarked this thread and have already scoured it. :-)

I am hoping some successful homeschoolers that have been admitted to the UC schools, like Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Davis etc - will weigh in on some of the particulars. Like which provider and/or curriculum they used, so then I can see how they managed to get in (aside from their kids being super smart!) whether by a-g approved courses, AP classes fulfilling a-g requirement, SAT subject tests fulfilling a-g req, SAT fulfilling Eng req, DE etc etc.... I've searched high & low on the boards to see the particular courses taken, but it's hard to cobble it all together. If anyone can weigh in with experience, THANK YOU!

4 years English

4 years Math

Physics

Bio

Chem

US History

World History
Geography

Fine Arts

Language

Electives....

• Like 1

Sorry, I've been busy with work and stuff today and yesterday! I will come back and add details tomorrow, but the short answer is ... we used all of the above :) – SAT test, SAT subject tests, AP exams (note: my son enjoys tests, seeing them as a puzzle/challenge, and he scores very well), CC/CSU courses, online courses, small-group homeschool classes (classical lit; lit; speech; etc.), some on his own at home ... It was more important to me to keep my son challenged, and to maintain his love of learning, than to meet the a-g reqs. That being said, the UCs are still a great value, and my son loves his school, so I fully support, and try to help, homeschoolers who want to do this. And we ended up fulfilling some of the areas multiple ways (which we were advised to emphasize in the comment box(es) on the application), while the fact that my son didn't strictly fulfill either the history or the fine arts areas didn't seem to hurt him. (Perhaps it helped that Berkeley practices "holistic" admissions?)

I will post a brief list of what and when. Hopefully tomorrow!

gr. 7: SAT – Verbal score cleared all 4 years of high-school English requirement

gr. 8: Biology with Potter's School – SAT subject test (Biology M)

gr. 9: English with Potter's School
AP Calculus BC with PA Homeschoolers – AP exam (Calc BC), SAT subject test (Math Level 2)
Chemistry at home, w/labs in Berkeley
German 2 w/OSU
AP Computer Science – AP exam (CS)

gr. 10: English at home
AP Comp Gov w/PA H/S – AP exam
Calc 3 and ODEs at CC
Physics w/Derek Owens online – SAT subject test
German 3 w/OSU

gr. 11: AP English Lang w/PA H/S – AP exam (English Lang); SAT subject test (lit)
U.S. History at home (no exam; I am still baffled why we never had him take an SAT subject test in history)
Linear Algebra at CC
AP Statistics w/PA H/S – AP exam
AP Chemistry w/PA H/S – AP exam (he was signed up for the SAT subject test, but was sick)
German 4 w/OSU – SAT subject test (German w/listening)

gr. 12: English at home
AP US Gov w/PA H/S – AP exam (did not count for admissions, but for credits upon enrollment)
Macroeconomics at home
two upper-div math classes at CSU
Physics 1 & 2 at CSU
AP German w/OSU – no AP exam (too hard to find :/ )

This is a basic list; other courses included the following:

all 4 years of high school: computer science courses with a private teacher and w/AoPS; math courses with AoPS; and classical history and literature with a local tutor in a small-group class (isn't homeschooling awesome? :) )

I think it would also be useful to respond to Mirabillis's last post above, to sort this all by a-g area. I will try to answer in another post, soon.

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 4