Menu

Need help for my Jr

I homeschool 2 of my boys, both are in lower grades but now my son who is a Jr in high school has shown an intrest in homeschooling. I have never researched curriculum for him because he has never wanted to homeschool. Now I really need help because if he is really serious about this, I need to come up with something fast. He may change his mind so this is incase he was really serious about wanting to homeschool.

I really dont know whats out there for high school aged kids. I was thinking Saxon for math and Apologia for science (unless there is something better). He says he is advanced in History so I will need something more advanced for that subject, but I dont have a clue what.

What do your schedules look like for your teens? I am thinking he will need logic, math, science, writing, some sort of language arts (although I dont know what). Do you teach spelling to high school kids? How about grammar? Whats a good grammar program? I am not sure what I am missing, I am a bit overwhelmed.

Then theres Latin. I dont know if he is going to want to take Latin, but just incase, I need something for someone who has never had Latin. He has taken Spanish in ps, I dont know if that will help any.

This has really thrown me for a loop. I know whats out there for younger kids but I have no clue whats out there for older kids. Any replies appreciated.

Bringing home a junior will have some unique requirements, IMO. At this point, he should be focusing on college requirements and developing a 'portfolio' of work if he intends to go to college. If it were me, I think I would have him take a standardized test (ACT, PSAT, etc.) in order to discover his weaknesses and strengths. That would help you develop a course of study for him for the next two years. In addition, you will need to take into account his academic bent - i.e., is he leaning towards a science/math field or more of a liberal arts degree? Having an idea about that will help you determine what kinds of curricula to use.

Personally, at this point, I would not go with Latin since he has already had Spanish unless you just really want him to have Latin. It might be better to have him continue in Spanish. As far as a grammar program goes, he should be at the point where it is just review. A good review course might be Analytical Grammar, and maybe throw in a good vocabulary course like Vocabulary for the College Bound Student. Both of these can be covered in a year. I would definitely have him writing papers....what curriculum you choose for that, if one is needed, would depend on his writing skills now. Is he doing well in math at school? If so, you might consider using the same program he's using now.

Again, though, the first thing I would do is get some sort of a feel of where he is at academically based on a standardized test. I wish you the best on this transition. I have enjoyed the upper levels so much more than the lower levels of schooling.

Thanks so much. I guess I need to find out when they are giving the ACT or PSAT and have him take the test then maybe I will have an idea where to start.

Like I said before he may just change his mind about this. He did want to leave his old school and he has now switched to a new one. Maybe he will like the new one better and wont want to homeschool? I guess I could have him take the tests and wait a bit to see if he is really serious about this.