Menu

OPG - helpful for remedial phonics?

Flowergirl159

I haven't used OPG, so can't answer your question, but wanted to share that I use Blend Phonics with my kids to fill in any phonics gaps.  I have this printed and put in a binder: http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/bplitebooks.pdf. Every day, we go through the word list and the short story for one "unit."  I found this helpful with my first DD, who suddenly went from doing Explode the Code Book 3 to reading 5th grade level chapter books on her own, but who had some gaps in her phonics understanding.  I am also finding it helpful with my #2, who tends to just guess what words are based on the first letter and pictures.  

Edited by mohop
  • Like 1

That depends.  How serious are the reading issues?  Is there a possibility of dyslexia?  Depending on the underlying issue, they may need something that breaks things down into smaller pieces and doesn't make so many leaps.

Nah, I think she finds it easier to guess the word by looking at it as a whole and considering the context, rather than sounding out the letters.

Nah, I think she finds it easier to guess the word by looking at it as a whole and considering the context, rather than sounding out the letters.

Actually, that is one of the signs of possible dyslexia. Whether that is part of the situation here or not, your child may need a program that systematically teaches phonics in small pieces because she may not be intuiting it on her own.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

I'm using OPGTR for something like that. My 8yo is a strong reader, with good comprehension in chapter books, but she does skim harder words and dislike sounding them out, so I wanted to give her a bit more of a phonics foundation. My 6yo completed 100 EZ Lessons and needs further phonics.

I do the lessons with them together, using the chalkboard in the kitchen. They take turns reading words and we discuss the sounds. They enjoy it... so far, so good.