Menu

Confused - can you help?

mommy25

I am confused about the new Writing with Ease level 1 and First Language Lessons for 1st and 2nd grade. I realized that FLL includes grammar where the WWE does not (at least I don't think it does). Isnt' using both of these together repeating some of the same skills? I saw where they have discounted FLL on PHP website - are they discontinuing it?

I am not an expert, but I will try to answer your questions. ;) Yes there will be some overlapping in skills- both contain copywork, dictation, and narration. However, while FLL covers parts of speech and other grammar concepts WWE (at last the book) does not cover this. I have not seen the workbooks as I just use whatever we are reading. WWE provides more copywork, narration and dictation than FLL. I do not think they are planning on doing away with FLL, as they are still adding levels to the program.

I am pretty sure that they are not discontinuing FLL.

They are designed to be used together or independently. If you use them together, they recommend not doing the copywork in FLL (so as not to frustrate new writers). WWE implements what they are learning in FLL. FLL teaches about capitalization and punctuation, whereas WWE just points them out (kind of "remember to capitalize your sentence and don't forget the punctuation").

You will do narrations in both (as well as history) - I just try and make sure that dd7 is not doing a narration for both on the same day. I am 50/50 on the copywork in FLL, but... she doesn't mind copywork too much.