Menu

I need a washing machine! LG, Samsung, front loaders?

Pen

Yes, the steel hoses are better. But if your basement is unfinished and a leaky hose wouldn't be a big deal then it probably doesn't matter as much. When a laundry room is located within the main part of the house it really can matter.

Mine aren't on a platform, but I'm super short so bending to get the clothes out isn't a huge issue at all for me.

Thank you, this is great info!  I think I am about to go with the Kenmore! Which size drum do you have?

I believe I have the 4.3, but I'm not absolutely certain.  I do remember that if we wanted to go bigger, we had to get a Kenmore Elite, which I wasn't paying for.  

If you go into the store, Sears has a powder washing detergent that they highly recommend for all of their washers.  If it is on sale, it's a great deal.  It works well, even in hard water. It doesn't contribute to the stinky smell that can buildup with some commercial liquids.  Right now I'm using the borax/fels-naptha homemade liquid and love it, but when I don't have the patience to make it, I buy that stuff at Sears.  

I didn't want to put the drawers underneath because my husband couldn't reach over them if we had. I'm nearly six feet tall.  He's three inches shorter. But because our floor wasn't level, he and his brothers built a "floor" to set them on.  (Having a level surface for your washer is one of the biggest factors in the longevity of your washer.)  It's made of 2x2's and plywood.  We then covered it in the same flooring we had in the utility room.  It lifted the set just enough to help with the monthly maintenance, and to make it easier on me when I was pregnant. We did have them stacked at one time, but my kiddos and husband had a hard time reaching the buttons on the dryer to start it.  :D  So now, they are side-by-side.  I put a piece of melamine board over the top which prevents things from falling behind and it's a folding board.  At my height, the washer is at my waist, so I can't imaging trying to fold with the drawers underneath.  If you have handymen in the house, or don't need the storage, I personally wouldn't bother.  There are better options. 

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-4.3-cu-ft-front-load-washer/p-02641162000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This seems to be the updated version of my washer.  The only thing that has changed is how the buttons are arranged.  

Regarding the hoses:

https://www.floodchek.com/cont/uploads/White-Paper_Washing-Machine-Hoses-Disaster-Waiting-to-Happen.pdf

This is an advertisement, but, it provides great information and tips to make certain your hoses last a long time no matter your choice.