Menu

American Language Series Readers

desertflower

I have no idea, but this statement doesn't lead me to believe it'll be high or able to carry over to reading actual texts

"Unlike other curriculums, these readers use only those words and concepts that have already been taught and reviewed in the workbooks."

A quick search on Rainbow Resource shows the same set to be listed as a K reader series.

• Like 1

It means they're kindergarten level.  The samples at Rainbow Resource show them to be very Dick & Jane like:  short repetitive texts that only have words that have been introduced to the student.  It's the first step of reading.  After that, readers tend to focus on phonics rules and introduce combinations in new words.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I wanted to chime in here, I am 65. I used this curriculum many years ago to homeschool my kids. It was simply called Mile-Hi back then.  Children end up on a 2nd grade reading level after one year of this curriculum.  I had to search to find it still available, and am now using it to teach at a private Christian school. It has changed some,  but I still HIGHLY recommend this curriculum.  Almost all phonics based reading with very, very few sight words, and the ones that are sight words are words like "the", and "a" that have to be included, nothing else.   To equate this curriculum to Dick and Jane books is truly an insult to the curriculum.   I am extremely happy to find this still available.   I thought it had disappeared as so many good things tend to do.   If you want to teach your kindergartner to read, and write. This is the curriculum.   I have found NOTHING better in all these years.