Menu

McGuffey

vaquitita

Wow. Those temps are low. I've thought about the homeless in the north , I grew up in the D.C. area.

It was bad even there in winters.

I used to volunteer at the local women's shelter . it's in a secret location and volunteer s are even screed and need to be referred by someone credible.

The things those women have been through . whew. And the little guys they have in tow.

Heartbreaking .

My youngest daughter(24) has a paid position there now.

I think she needs to seek out a different p/t job.

I'm seeing signs if what look to me like a little bit of PTSD or maybe some transference.

One of the abuser men found the location. Followed someone there. My daughter was working thst day.

Was pretty intense for her. She struggles with bi polar anyway.

She had nitemares for weeks after.

Cops came...it was ugly .

Alot of the men we talked to here when Wed work at the shelters, so many of them were vets. We know thy were vets too...the shelter had a transpo sytem that took them to the VA hospital.

Pretty sad and why I think k it's such a worthy cause to be involved in.

We never know what or who of us could wind up in the same exact situation.

Big hugs Hunter. :)

Vaquitita! Hi :)

With everything going in with is right now?

You have no idea how much those McGuffey's are a bright light and so looking forward to them :)

Can't wait to get em in my hot lil hands lol :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

PTSD is catchy. When I work with caregivers longterm I have to worry about them not catching it from me. There are some particulars about my situation that make it catchy from me.

If your daughter is watching the reality of women falling through the cracks of the system, that might be worse for her than fear of one of the men. Fear of a labeled abuser is simple. The long-term effects of experiencing or watching secondary wounding on a massive scale are brutal.

Secondary Wounding

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/companyg/secondarywounding.html

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 2

Vaquitita, have you tried wwe?

Writing with ease? It's a good program and it's the style of teaching you like (we like the same style ) a gentle cm approach of starting with narrations . the question and answers are scripted ( so mom knows exactly what to draw out of them).

It uses Beatrix Potter excerpts, Pinocchio, Alice in wonderland , little house , it's really good and produces good writers.

It's that sweet approach we like.

I think you'll like it. It can sometimes seem like...what good is this really doing? Then one day...boom. You have a great writer :).

I love it. I mention it BC you talked about not having writing. We do AAR and rtlt too. It fits right in with thst style of teaching.

It has copy work and the worksheets to do it too from the excerpts read aloud thst day.

I've started using that to now correct spelling . I didn't at first, wanted to focus on the writing part. Then like Hunter said. I started keeping a running list of words they get wrong.

It's totally open n go.

We need lots of repetition too. Lc's in a big way here. It 'speaks' to them.

I'm a big fan :)

I had the wwe handbook from the library, and did like it. It just felt overwhelming to do every day with every kid. Especially if you add FLL every day too. I'm trying ELTL this year, which seems like a stream lined version of the FLL/WWE combo.

Not only did we not do any writing tie in to our reading lessons, I haven't been consistent with copywork. Well until the last half of last year. Same time as I began using RLTL, I also used the HLTL elson primer copywork for my daughter. For older son, I bought the ELTL 2 workbook and gave him just the copywork since it was the spring. For the first time we actually did copywork consistently! :) I have high hopes for ELTL

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

Yes. I'm going to pass thst link onto her.

I think she is developing some of thst. The phsycoligist referred to it as transference.

I have mentioned burn out to her.

The social worker we dealt with when adoping the teen said they only keep them in those jobs for a max of 2 years for that very reason.

I'm going to tell he to go back to waiting tables at the steak house lol. Ahes a college student and the bi polar is enough for her to manage. I don't want her to have secondary issues too.

Steak house...here we come! Lol :)

• Like 2

I had the wwe handbook from the library, and did like it. It just felt overwhelming to do every day with every kid. Especially if you add FLL every day too. I'm trying ELTL this year, which seems like a stream lined version of the FLL/WWE combo.

Not only did we not do any writing tie in to our reading lessons, I haven't been consistent with copywork. Well until the last half of last year. Same time as I began using RLTL, I also used the HLTL elson primer copywork for my daughter. For older son, I bought the ELTL 2 workbook and gave him just the copywork since it was the spring. For the first time we actually did copywork consistently! :) I have high hopes for ELTL

We LOVE ELTL :) it's been good for us.

We do WWE all together. They always have slightly different narrations. It is so helpful for us. Mine struggle with that tho.

Awesome on the copy work! :) it's a good feeling to get done what we want huh?

I use the RLTL too. The kids really like both and the Wwe.

I fokd in fll too. My guys need akot of practice, no one curriculum is going to give us as much practice as we need.

They don't even realize we use all those books. Good thing! Ha-ha.

Im gonna get rays arithmetic too. I viewed the samples on the link Hunter put up.

Love the everyday life word problems .

• Like 1

We LOVE ELTL :) it's been good for us.

We do WWE all together. They always have slightly different narrations. It is so helpful for us. Mine struggle with that tho.

Awesome on the copy work! :) it's a good feeling to get done what we want huh?

I use the RLTL too. The kids really like both and the Wwe.

I fokd in fll too. My guys need akot of practice, no one curriculum is going to give us as much practice as we need.

They don't even realize we use all those books. Good thing! Ha-ha.

Im gonna get rays arithmetic too. I viewed the samples on the link Hunter put up.

Love the everyday life word problems .

You use FLL, WWE, AND ELTL, RLTL? That is a lot of repetition. :)

Eta: my daughter is doing well with MUS, I pretty much have her do every page. The repetition is good for her. But I've been thinking of adding something to help with mental math. Strayer Upton or maybe Ray's. But need to find a way to add it without overloading her or me. Perhaps if we just did the word problems?

I was looking at a book called every day arithmetic and in the instructions under bad habits it specifically mentioned writing down numbers when carrying, instead of holding them in your head, which struck me as so funny because in modern math programs that's called showing your work and is considered necessary. LOL

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

You can get Ray's for free at Google and archive.org.

I really like having the whole dollarhomeschool curriculum on CD, because I blow up computers. Like seriously blow them up. I have a few things backed up on CD as well as thumbdrives.

I have Ray's in hardcopy. I have very little in hardcopy, but I do have Ray's.

Vaq :lol: Homeless just means you don't have a home. Homelessness overlaps with many other issues, but homelessness itself is not what most outsiders think it is. The people begging on the streets claiming to be homeless are not always even homeless. There are people you pass every day that are homeless and you don't know that they are.

I have a lot of misconceptions about homelessness before I became homeless. I learned a lot real fast. Real fast. :lol:

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 3

Kat, what one caregiver to another would call it is transference and burn out. Some caregivers don't believe in the idea of secondary wounding. They think the system is fine; it is the victims that are "hard to handle" and refusing help.

Most caregivers believe in a sharp divide between themselves and who they care for. With the belief in that sharp divide as their worldview, they see things very differently than some survivors. Few would label your daughter as being traumatized by watching victims be further victimized by the very systems supposed to be helping them.

• Like 2

You use FLL, WWE, AND ELTL, RLTL? That is a lot of repetition. :)

Eta: my daughter is doing well with MUS, I pretty much have her do every page. The repetition is good for her. But I've been thinking of adding something to help with mental math. Strayer Upton or maybe Ray's. But need to find a way to add it without overloading her or me. Perhaps if we just did the word problems?

I was looking at a book called every day arithmetic and in the instructions under bad habits it specifically mentioned writing down numbers when carrying, instead of holding them in your head, which struck me as so funny because in modern math programs that's called showing your work and is considered necessary. LOL

Haba...I know. We used to vet in trouble for not showing our work! Lol

Yea. I do even more wih them too. I have too. My guys have...well. They are both on the spectrum and esp one...his working memory just now climbed up into the teens. They just don't remember . they have to have that I listed and more.

For us....practice practice practice is the name of the game :)

• Like 1

You can get Ray's for free at Google and archive.org.

I really like having the whole dollarhomeschool curriculum on CD, because I blow up computers. Like seriously blow them up. I have a few things backed up on CD as well as thumbdrives.

I have Ray's in hardcopy. I have very little in hardcopy, but I do have Ray's.

Vaq :lol: Homeless just means you don't have a home. Homelessness overlaps with many other issues, but homelessness itself is not what most outsiders think it is. The people begging on the streets claiming to be homeless are not always even homeless. There are people you pass every day that are homeless and you don't know that they are.

I have a lot of misconceptions about homelessness before I became homeless. I learned a lot real fast. Real fast. :lol:

Yes. I see that point of view about transference. Fortunately we had all good experience s with social workers we've dealt with...but I have sent them deal with the kids and some of the women when I volunteered at the women's center...and it wasn't so kind. Was sad.

My daughter s counselor thankfully means it in the proper way.

Shes concerned she is feeling some trauma helping the women.

My daughter loves it there but. She needs to keep herself on good footing.

Ahes been doing really good. I am going to go get my daughter this week and take her to lunch n tell her...honey. You need to take a break.

Ahes pretty open to mamas advice now. ...couple years ago? Not so much lol...but. We've gotten passed that and she knows. ...mama looks out for her :)

• Like 1

I will no longer think my daughter needs tons of repetition. Lol. It's just been by comparison to her brother's. By comparison to my oldest, who was fluent 5th grade reading level by 7. and Her three years younger brother learned to read at the same time. And I'd just have to tell him something once, and he had it. :)

• Like 1

How do you use multiple programs and not overwhelm them? I have strayer Upton book one, and I'd like to supplement some for mental math, but can't figure out how. Which things to do in su and which to skip. Whether to try and keep up, topics wise, with what she's doing in MUS, or just do each at their own pace and not worry if su is waaaaay behind where she is in MUS.

• Like 1

How do you use multiple programs and not overwhelm them? I have strayer Upton book one, and I'd like to supplement some for mental math, but can't figure out how. Which things to do in su and which to skip. Whether to try and keep up, topics wise, with what she's doing in MUS, or just do each at their own pace and not worry if su is waaaaay behind where she is in MUS.

You spiral it. So you use mus as your spine. Then take a break, come back and do a different concept (one previously done) in SU.

Taking breaks, you have to. We do one lesson in one book, take a break, then do a lesson previously learned in the other book.

I do the memory poem from fll. Then

I do WWE . And have fun with it. Then go straight into ffl.

I use fll as my spine.

...take a break...

Rtlt

..take a break..

Etlt

....take a break..

Easy grammar or a craft to do our visual part. Or I'll use this time to do dictation . I use the dictation and spelling combined. So I'm dictation spelling words, or their address, what have you.

We do alot. Those kids have heart. I tire I think before they do lol.

We start at 9 and finish at around 4:30 . have free play or if it's a day they have an activity .

Then after dinner we listen to the audio book for ELTL and practice math facts.

I send em to bed 30 before they think their bedtimes are Baha! ;)

And they do Khan academy inline (math) and Meister Cody software program ( math for kids with dysgraphia )

I make it fun, incorporate crafts for the visuals

Basically. They're doing it all day except for their big break in the afternoon and just after dinner.

I get creative and make it seem like a game or fun.

They have no idea we use as many books as we do.

When we did our school room. We moved all the books in there and put them in workboxes waiting to go on their shelves.

They saw them all on the floor and said...WOW! where'd all these books come from?? I said...we use em. They said no wY! We dint use all those books.

As i held each one uo they were like..oh. Ok.lol

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Ok, that makes sense. I was considering bumping my daughter up to ELTL 2, to get more Copywork for her, but I know she'd do better with two shorter pieces of Copywork than one longer one. For math... Now that I've decided doing both AAR and RLTL is overkill, and dropped AAR, I could spend some of that freed up time on SU math. I could do it orally with her for ten minutes. All I need to do now is decide how much of SU to do. I don't ink she needs ALL of two programs. She's doing all of MUS, all I want from SU is mental math. I'm thinking all the word problems, and when I come to a page of lots of problems do a few of each type and move on.

• Like 1

Yea. That sounds really good.

And your right. You don't have to do all of both of them.

Just pull some of the word problems or I think you mentioned mental math? You could do some mental math on another day.

Just pull it in as practice after a break. Have her do whatever and how much of, you think she needs. Ir she tires lol. Their brains check out at some point :)

You might get into SU and decide , OK let's do a couple weeks practing a few of word problems, then a couple weeks practicing something you didn't even know she was weak on.

Love homeschooling . can do what we want :)

• Like 1

I ran in to this list recently, so I've been thinking about it again. I think it's posts 5&8. http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=74337

I've been pondering this some more. :)

While this is a good list, when I think of following it I come up with objections. Mostly books I have that aren't on it and books I don't have that are. :) So then I started making my own list, and man is it hard! I'm not sure if I am covering enough different stuff? And do I have too many books? (Always my weakness. Lol) And I've only listed science books so far! :D

• Like 1

Just as I was supposed to be going to bed, an idea struck me. :) In the RLTL introduction there was suggestions for using letter tiles with a kid who couldn't handle the writing. Teaching a word that way- spelling with tiles and discussing why the word is spelled that way- is very much like what I did with my oldest when I was trying to do CM style lessons! Only one won't have to rack my brains trying to explain why the word is spelled the way it is! :D Even if spelling still doesn't click till 9, if we've already talked about those things in the past, we can just analyze words in his Copywork/dictation. Maybe I will use RLTL as a reading program for my youngest after all. :)

• Like 1

Just as I was supposed to be going to bed, an idea struck me. :) In the RLTL introduction there was suggestions for using letter tiles with a kid who couldn't handle the writing. Teaching a word that way- spelling with tiles and discussing why the word is spelled that way- is very much like what I did with my oldest when I was trying to do CM style lessons! Only one won't have to rack my brains trying to explain why the word is spelled the way it is! :D Even if spelling still doesn't click till 9, if we've already talked about those things in the past, we can just analyze words in his Copywork/dictation. Maybe I will use RLTL as a reading program for my youngest after all. :)

Yea. Thst sounds good. Using the letter tiles, youre right, theyll have that stored away in their brain for later. Good idea. I really like RLTL. I love the word analysis. That really hits home for my boys.

I said you had AAR too is thst right? I use both RLTL and AAR 1. BC my boys need heavy phonics still 2. I like aspects of both.

We really like the activities in AAR. they have more fun hands on work with words and the letters thst make them. I mean, my boys will be to do more anteater words lol .

But, I love the word analysis and the elson readers in RLTL.

You could keep rtlt, use AAR word tiles and activities .

Man, whoever came up with letter tiles is genius lol. I know we all had the fridge magnets as kids..but these things take it a step further. Love the tiles! :)

I'd say definitely keep rtlt. And I'd be hesitant to get rid of AAR too. You have 2 more to teach to read right? Sometimes different things work with different kids.

I think you're spot on with the letter tiles. It's amazing what comes to us when were supposed to be sleeping huh? Baha. Happens here all the time :)

Good late nite call mama!

• Like 1

While this is a good list, when I think of following it I come up with objections. Mostly books I have that aren't on it and books I don't have that are. :) So then I started making my own list, and man is it hard! I'm not sure if I am covering enough different stuff? And do I have too many books? (Always my weakness. Lol) And I've only listed science books so far! :D

Ahem. 

Please see my signature in response to what is in bold above.  :cool:

• Like 4

I know, I've always added to my book list too. Love books! :)

You'd probably be surprised how many you or the kids reading independently can get through .

I like her list too. All of her list is on my list too ( I've already graduated. 3 homeschoolers) I took off Frankenstein and Dracula tho.

And I did just what you're talking about, added ones I adored and couldn't have in my list, like the holling c hollings geography readers. Those are Sooo cool. Boys love em and learn alot about geography from them. (I know, I'm not makin this easier am I? Ha-ha )

Her list goes all the way up to 12th too so that can make it sound like alot, but it's spread out.

I love the science readers too like your talking about. I've always kept cm in my homeschool. It really does produce all around good students with well rounded knowledge .

I'd say, add the books you want, you know your kids too, so some of the ones on the list may not be Ines they'll like or have an interest in.

I'd use the list she has as sort of a base , I say thst BC the book list she has are mostly all award winning GOOD books. My big kids have read them all except the 2 I mentioned .

Then, add your books to the list. That's what I did.

You can read as many or as few as you get to. Just BC it's in the list doesn't mean you have to finish the list. I never finished mine in the course of the school year, so it them went on the summer reading list.

We usually got it done that way, through the summers.

I'd prioritize your list based around what you want to teach for science and history.

That's where you bring in the lit books. Ya have to integrate them somehow ...jus too many books we booky people want our kids to have exposure too :)

Alot of good books have come out too. So many cute fun science readers like you said...math readers! I mean. These ppl arent makin it easy for us are they! Ha-ha ;)

So.is use her list as a base. Those are really good books on her list, then add what you want to do also.

Printing it out and put it in their planners and your planner. Y'all get to them when you get to em.

One thing I have become a huge fan of is audiobooks. For the readers like science and geography no, ya can't do thst. But fir Alice in wonderland ? It's perfect for.

Books that don't have awesome art on the pages or cute lil dudes to follow through the book, ID start Farming out to audiobooks.

It's a sweet fun time. Like lay down a bunch of blankets and pillows on the floor and pull it up on livrobox. It's online and has every book known to man I think lol.

All the kids will probably wind up pilin in :)

Maybe do it when you lil guy is napping , the 3 older ones listening to Pinocchio or something ...and hey. That's their 'rest time' too and a nice lil break for mama ;) he he

Thst way, you get those kind if books knocked off your list, then during typical school time you can read those fun pretty other books you want on the list.

And again, if the ones you guys are going to physically read don't all get done...carry it over to summer reading.

Got your summer reading book list already done! Ha-ha.

Knkw something I've started using as a guide to books I want to read aloud thst have good artwork?

The memoria press read aloud list, their science and lit enrichment list, and their core readers.

I just typed em uo adding to what I already had from my big kids ( like the list she had) , print it out, put in our planners, and get to them as we are doing thst thing in science or history .

I know. All these new books comin out...don't help is decide do they! Lol.

Livorbox has become my friend :)

Audiobooks!!! Ha-ha :)

• Like 1

Oh...and you don't have to have all the books....the libraries are now carrying a ton of these cool books too.

Love my library card lol.

But I know what your gonna say...you want to own them, or love the ones you own. Me too.

Right there with ya :)

• Like 1

Making your own list is brutal!!!

I have 100's of editions of my list. Hundreds!

But, yes, if you want to use what YOU have, and what is important to YOU, then you need your own list.

• Like 2

If you "buy" a free kindle book that is part of whispersync set, you get offered the audio book at a reduced price. I do that a lot.

Also if you borrow the ebook from the library in Kindle form, that triggers the reduced price for the audiobook. I have borrowed ebooks from the library just to get the audiobook cheaper.

If the ebook is free, I like to use the ebook to make it easier to maneuver through the audiobook, but often I, and students, use a hardcopy book with the audio.

If I'm going to do a slow read of a difficult book, it is easier to have a cheap Dover thrift edition and scribble all over it. Especially of I am prereading a book to use with a student or students. The more times I expect to slow read a book with others, the more I mark it up, and the more I want audio for me as the preread and for them later on.

I'm reading/listening to Journal of the Plague Year right now. I'm just using the kindle book to help maneuver through the audio book. I need the hardcopy to mark up into chapters since there are none. And mark the parts identified in the study guide as the major points.

I like librivox, but prefer the whispersync sets if I can get them for $2.99 or less.

• Like 2

Oh...yea...I forgot to mention... Livorbox is free.

I like free. :)

Hunter thsts a good point about the bolting them to the wall.

We are doing thst too. I have a lil granddaughter who is fascinated with...the highest book on the shelf lol.

Good point.

Yea, i keep my book lists in a word doc. I dunno what all the new stuff is.

Electronics... Not my thing :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 2

It is nice to own the hard books that you invested a lot of time and effort to read.

I tend to use the library most for the easy books.

Some books that I cannot afford, I take really good notes from, and then have the notes to keep. If I take the time to keep notes instead of a book, I am often more pleased in the long run to have notes, rather than the whole book.

• Like 1

Hunter, I looked at your Rays Arithmetic... And I noticed again the DEAR. I really like the idea of having encyclopedia s around for the kids to reference and read.

I used to have s complete book set. When we downsized I gave them away. I wish someone had given me a kick in the pants about that.

I miss those things so much. As a kid I uesd to have a set and ready them for fun, for interesting facts.

I want another set. I'm going to have to look (not now, have therapies to pay for ) bit down the road find a used set at a used books store or something .

I love hardcopy encyclopedia s.

I miss them. My boys would love having them here.

The dictionary is something I used to read too and had my one lil guy browsing through it for me to read to him things that looked interesting.

We got away from that. I need to get back to doing that.

Sigh. So many books, so little time lol

• Like 2

Hi, my name is Kat, ....and I'm a book hoarder...I mean...collector haha ;)

I think I need to have the hard copy books BC I highlight, make side notes on the page.

I make alot of my books my own too by all the side notes.

I have to have the hard copy visual for some reason . I don't like electronics for some reason.

And ya can't highlight and make notes on a digital version ;)

I go into our huge used bookstore...and it's like a kid in a candy store haha :)

And to get books on my list that are 15.$ books for 3.$ man. It's like ...I'm elated.

I can make all the side notes I want!! Tee hee

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 2

Yea. Thst sounds good. Using the letter tiles, youre right, theyll have that stored away in their brain for later. Good idea. I really like RLTL. I love the word analysis. That really hits home for my boys.

I said you had AAR too is thst right? I use both RLTL and AAR 1. BC my boys need heavy phonics still 2. I like aspects of both.

We really like the activities in AAR. they have more fun hands on work with words and the letters thst make them. I mean, my boys will be to do more anteater words lol .

But, I love the word analysis and the elson readers in RLTL.

You could keep rtlt, use AAR word tiles and activities .

Man, whoever came up with letter tiles is genius lol. I know we all had the fridge magnets as kids..but these things take it a step further. Love the tiles! :)

I'd say definitely keep rtlt. And I'd be hesitant to get rid of AAR too. You have 2 more to teach to read right? Sometimes different things work with different kids.

I have just one more kid to teach. My 5yo reads as well as my 8yo. RLTL is a must keep, I'm currently using it. :) AAR... I was thinking of keeping the pre level which we enjoyed and did such a good job at teaching those pre reading skills. I'm also keeping a set of their letter tiles and the file folder games. But I'm thinking of giving levels 1-4 back to our charter school. When I bagged it up I did have second thoughts, but those might be just because its so pretty. :) There were so many things we didn't enjoy about AAR. I guess the kids did enjoy the activities in level 1, I was just remembering how much they didn't enjoy them anymore by the time we stopped (mid level 3). IDK.... if my youngest turns out to need lots of explicit incremental teaching and lots of review, then I may want to use it again. On the other hand, RLTL is probably good for that too? Tho there are games built in to AAR, so I wouldn't have to come up with those myself, if it turned out he needed that. Well, I can't return AAR for a few months anyway, so maybe I'll just put it in my garage and think about it. If I boxed them up, they could even sit out there till I am teaching him to read and know for sure. :)

• Like 1

Encyclopedias... I don't have them. Every time I go out to our charter school's resource library I see a couple sets of World Book and I've contemplated getting them, but not sure if the kids would read them or not. Come to think of it, if I'd had those LLATL might have worked better for us. :) I did have a kid who liked to read the dictionary for awhile, but he stopped.

Most of my bookshelves are bolted to the wall... we live in earthquake country. :)

I love librivox! Though my kids can't seem to get past listening to the burgess books for the umpteenth billion time. LOL. I was planning to use librivox, or whispersync if needed, for my 8yo's ELTL books. But maybe I should use it more. 

My book list... the hardest part is deciding how much to assign to each year. I gave up on that for now and so far am just making up an ungraded book list for each subject. Though I have tried to list them easier to harder. I figure I can just pull from each subject list each year. Or maybe after I'm done I'll figure out a way to combine all the lists into one list.

If we continue to use ELTL, then that's my slow read lit for each year. I started a second lit book list for free reads, I would also pull from this list for family read alouds or audio books. I started with that list I linked, added in some books from my shelves and Ambleside Online. I haven't even started history yet, that's hardest. The science list is hard too because I'm not sure if I have covered enough different topics. But I'm only planning thru 8th grade, so I'm not too worried. They will probably have to use a more traditional science for high school, so that will fill in any holes.

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

I have just one more kid to teach. My 5yo reads as well as my 8yo. RLTL is a must keep, I'm currently using it. :) AAR... I was thinking of keeping the pre level which we enjoyed and did such a good job at teaching those pre reading skills. I'm also keeping a set of their letter tiles and the file folder games. But I'm thinking of giving levels 1-4 back to our charter school. When I bagged it up I did have second thoughts, but those might be just because its so pretty. :) There were so many things we didn't enjoy about AAR. I guess the kids did enjoy the activities in level 1, I was just remembering how much they didn't enjoy them anymore by the time we stopped (mid level 3). IDK.... if my youngest turns out to need lots of explicit incremental teaching and lots of review, then I may want to use it again. On the other hand, RLTL is probably good for that too? Tho there are games built in to AAR, so I wouldn't have to come up with those myself, if it turned out he needed that. Well, I can't return AAR for a few months anyway, so maybe I'll just put it in my garage and think about it. If I boxed them up, they could even sit out there till I am teaching him to read and know for sure. :)

Yea. That sounds good...keep it around for activities. It does make that easier for we moms an you're right . kids enjoy it.

I love RLTL too. I couldn't give thst up either. Id do what you said...use RLTL then just pull in the activities and tiles from AAR.

Havin en out like you said sounds like a good idea.

Sounds like a good plan :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Encyclopedias... I don't have them. Every time I go out to our charter school's resource library I see a couple sets of World Book and I've contemplated getting them, but not sure if the kids would read them or not. Come to think of it, if I'd had those LLATL might have worked better for us. :) I did have a kid who liked to read the dictionary for awhile, but he stopped.

Most of my bookshelves are bolted to the wall... we live in earthquake country. :)

I love librivox! Though my kids can't seem to get past listening to the burgess books for the umpteenth billion time. LOL. I was planning to use librivox, or whispersync if needed, for my 8yo's ELTL books. But maybe I should use it more.

My book list... the hardest part is deciding how much to assign to each year. I gave up on that for now and so far am just making up an ungraded book list for each subject. Though I have tried to list them easier to harder. I figure I can just pull from each subject list each year. Or maybe after I'm done I'll figure out a way to combine all the lists into one list.

If we continue to use ELTL, then that's my slow read lit for each year. I started a second lit book list for free reads, I would also pull from this list for family read alouds or audio books. I started with that list I linked, added in some books from my shelves and Ambleside Online. I haven't even started history yet, that's hardest. The science list is hard too because I'm not sure if I have covered enough different topics. But I'm only planning thru 8th grade, so I'm not too worried. They will probably have to use a more traditional science for high school, so that will fill in any holes.

Yea, by highschool they'll be doing biology and stuff. Hey girl...duel enroll those baby chicks haha. It's free college while I'm highschool and counts for college credits too.

Your kids sound very bright, they could easily do it..

But fir younger grades that's what I did..make it an ungraded list.

Some can and probably need to be graded like the ones pulled in fir history and science.

But you're right, an ungraded list, but required, kwim?

Then shift what they didn't finish to summer reading list.

I think I know what you're saying about aking them from easier to harder...like....they start our with the easier ones plus good for the younger one to read..then they progress to harder with the older one maybe being the only ones reading the harder ones? That sorts along the lines of what you mean.? That's a good idea. I never did that, but I can see where it would be helpful .

I've just listed them and either let them choose the order ( moves them more towards independence) or have it listed with what we are doing in history and science .

What I've done is have the list...then as I go and say it's time for solar system.. I'll pull the solar system books to read.

I've found...we deviate from the plan sometimes . sometimes one of the boys will be like..oh..animals.. Can we do thst? Then..I just switch out those months and pull those books in.

History I keep chronological , so I dint really let them deviate much there.

Bu I think making an ungraded list ..and making sure they are making their way through it and talk about the books. ( that's how they remember it , plus you know they did in fact read it) ...that helps alot with the crossover to more independence . also, if mine would get a few chapters into a book and just truly not like it, if it was just a book like say...the other side of the mountain ir a generic good award winning book . I wouldn't make them finish it. But I would make them try the first like 3 CH. Some books are just slow starters and sometimes kids take a bit to get into the book.

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

I also had HEAVY historical fiction on the list too. That I would have them read when we did that timefrbif history. Like the Hittite warrior and the books in that series.

Bio too. Like the landmark books. My kids liked the landmark books as far as BIOS go.

But ima tell ya girl...those historical fiction were THE way to go to teach them without US teaching them about the timeframe of history. Teaches daily life, govt sometimes, architecture , the religion of the region and more. They are GOOD.

Rainbow carries them.

Historical fiction is 90 birds ...one stone lol.

What kind of books do you like that you wanted to add?...the books you have that you wanted to fold in?

• Like 1

On the encyclopedias and dictionary... I think t comes in spurts for kids.

Plus, if your one guy did it for awhile...that was probably enough to at least cement for him how to use it, what it included and really...knowing how to use it when need be is the key there.

I try to keep ours out and handy.

I think the encyclopedias come definitely in spurts... And thy are so good to ease them into writing research papers.

That an important college skill to have.

I wanna set!!! Ha-ha :)

• Like 1

I have collected lots of historical fiction. :) that's the only history I actually remember.

So far we've been doing chronological history, but I do find it becomes more about reading what fits the time period then reading the best books. My son enjoyed the landmark books he has read. And it occurs to me that when they get to the right level to enjoy those, why not just read them all? And forget chronological. Lol. I would like to do one chronological pass thru history in late Jr high or high school, but I'm leaning more and more towards interest led for elementary years. But I haven't as yet been able to let go of chronological. Lol. The kids enjoyed SOTW 1 last year, and it was pretty good, but I just feel like there's better stuff for the other history time periods. I actually was going to read CHOW to my kids this year, then chickened out and went with SOTW 2 because barefoot ragamuffin has a free SOTW schedule. :) Even though we start school in one week, I'm tempted to swap it out last minute. :D

Not doing chronological history does make it harder to organize my historical fiction though. I don't want to go thru all those books and try to organize them by reading level. And if I was making a must read books list, half of these wouldn't cut it.

And somehow I need like a core book list of the must reads, and a supplementary list for reading if they want or for audio books (my kids listen to audio books in bed every night). The thread on science audio books has so many good ideas!

• Like 1

Hahhaa...I had to laugh about the umpteeth billionth time....o.m.g.

Have we read paddle to the sea more times than I ever cared to. And thst one I have to read aloud cuf of all the cool pics and it's kinda like a ...where's Waldo haha.

Paddle is hidden in every page.

Omg....I could almost recitethst one by heart...and..i don't wanna! Lol.

At least it's good yours is one on audio lol. I know tho...they get stuck in a book and go over and over and over again...sheesh. :/

Makes mom bonkers! I keep telling myself...at least they are interested in a book. Yea. No consolation really when I need ir want to move in haha.

Know what's good too fir science with the younger ones?

WILDKRATS! :) it's a PBS show. My kids love it and it teaches them alot about science. I try to mix it uo a bit how they learn. Books, audio, visual thru videos. I DVR the wildkrats.

History I pull up liberty's kids on utube. That's a really good series about the revolutionary war timeand it's cartoon. So is wildkrats.

My big kids still remember liberties kids.

Swampfox. That's really good too for history.

I use liberties kids for them to see what was going on in the north at Rev. War time. And swamp fox for what was going on in the south at Rev. War time.

I keep tellin em...one is the north...one is the south.

And it keeps me from reading as much and helps cement it in their minds.

Plus, it pulls in the visual part of learning.

I try to teach all 3 methods. I did it with big kids too and they still remember . AND ...gave them a huge leg up on college. Made college alot easier for them.

The knew moat of the material already.

• Like 1

Nah...you don't wanna quit :)

And I would stay chronological cuz it makes it easier the the historical fiction and remembering history..and like you said...let em continue on with the landmark books.that's a good idea.

It doesn't have to be either or, you could do core as chronological... But go interest led like with landmarks..ir whatever else they take an interest in.

I'm a big fan of interest led too.

I stay core chronological... Thenet the teir off and read what strikes their fancy. Lol. Hey..they are reading..and taking an interest and...aides also with getting them more independent.

Oh. Don't do what I did and think you'll have a highschool cycle of chronological... Cuz...you won't lol. I had mine duel enrolling at 16 at the community college. And ita all she wrote then. :)

It's what the college dictates.. And that's good. It's free college and highschool at same time.

So hit the chronological now while you can.

I say that cuz I was public school educated. And I was an adult and had no idea the Roman empire I learned about in history highschool was the same Romans in the Bible. I had no concept of pricing together what happened when and why, what ledto what...the great awakening ...the Reformation, the Renaissance etc.

I'd have core chronological and let them each vere off privately as they have interest ...but keep the core chronological .

Changed everything for me. And when my kids got to college they said same thing...kids had no idea what happened when and why. Or it's significance .

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Nah...you don't wanna quit :)

And I would stay chronological cuz it makes it easier the the historical fiction and remembering history..and like you said...let em continue on with the landmark books.that's a good idea.

It doesn't have to be either or, you could do core as chronological... But go interest led like with landmarks..ir whatever else they take an interest in.

I'm a big fan of interest led too.

I stay core chronological... Thenet the teir off and read what strikes their fancy. Lol. Hey..they are reading..and taking an interest and...aides also with getting them more independent.

Oh. Don't do what I did and think you'll have a highschool cycle of chronological... Cuz...you won't lol. I had mine duel enrolling at 16 at the community college. And ita all she wrote then. :)

It's what the college dictates.. And that's good. It's free college and highschool at same time.

So hit the chronological now while you can.

I say that cuz I was public school educated. And I was an adult and had no idea the Roman empire I learned about in history highschool was the same Romans in the Bible. I had no concept of pricing together what happened when and why, what ledto what...the great awakening ...the Reformation, the Renaissance etc.

I'd have core chronological and let them each vere off privately as they have interest ...but keep the core chronological .

Changed everything for me. And when my kids got to college they said same thing...kids had no idea what happened when and why. Or it's significance .

That is a good idea! Keeping the core chronological but then letting them read more interest led on their own. The only problem is deciding how much core to do. This year I decided I was only going t read aloud history (SOTW) once a week, and then they read everything else. But my everything else was also fitting the time period. Do I just say read history, any history? Do I require a few books that do fit the time period, but leave time for other history reads? If it's more interest led, less organized, do I need to stick with a stronger spine- SOTW? Or go ahead and be looser with it? Read CHOW, which is shorter, and then I'd still have time to read something else like historical fiction, while sticking to my only reading history aloud once a week schedule?

And when my oldest hits middle school, then he needs to read his own books because I need to read to the younger ones. What then? Keep everyone on the same history rotation? I'd kind of like my kids to read OIS and TCOO in middle school, but don't know if that will work out if we stick to chronological? IDK!!! So many variables!!! Which is why making a master plan/list is SO hard! :D

• Like 1

Hahaha! My kids LOVE Wild kratts!!! I can't believe Netflix dropped it. So mad! I will check out those other ones, my kids would be over then moon if I said we were watching cartoons for history. LOL :D

Baha! Mine were too girl...my youngest said...are u sure this is school? Lol.

Man, we are all so sad when PBS quit airing liberties kids. Your kids will love it. My big kids when they come home to visit will still tell the lil kids...hey...let's watch liberties kids! Baha. Ok...you're 'helping ' your brothers. Right. You like watchin cartoons...esp that cartoon haha.

Swamp fox was an old Disney series back when they aired in sunday nights...remember that? Blast from the last. It has a very young Leslie neilson. From airplane? Ha-ha. But it's in character . he's playing swamp fox...ya know from the Carolinas...Marion...what's his last name. There's stuff all over the Carolinas about him.

He developed gorilla warfare.

Smart smart man. And a great series. Spies and fancy dances and prisoners of war..its really a must see.

Thsts in utube too.

Wildkrats, man...isn't that an awesome show? Love it.

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

You are SO interesting to talk to :) I enjoy it.

Lol. There's a three ring circus going on in my head... Or is it a train crash? Either way you can't pull your eyes away... :D

I am enjoying this thread so much. Getting a chance to talk out my crazy ideas and get advice from a been there done that mama! :)

I was SO thinking a chronological cycle in high school, but what you say makes a lot of sense. In high school the focus will be more on what they need/want, so I should get chronological in now.

• Like 1