Menu

Short stories with classical/ biblical allusions?

I'm using Windows to the World in a co-op class and would like to give the students practice annotating a few more short stories with some significant classical or biblical allusions. I own many volumes of short fiction, but I can't seem to think of any appropriate examples! (One I did use was Arthur C. Clarke's "The Star" which really threw the kids for a loop! Apparently science fiction is less popular with them than with me :) ) The stories would preferably be short enough for us to review during class time after the students have annotated them at home. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA.

Family Happiness and Other Stories by Tolstoy. It has several fairly short stories with Biblical undertones. Here are the details from amazon.com:

Each of the 6 powerful tales in this collection exhibits the rich detail, shrewd observations, and vivid narration that characterize Tolstoy's famous novels. In addition to the title story, this compilation includes "Three Deaths," "The Three Hermits," "The Devil," "Father Sergius," and "Master and Man."

HTH,

Brenda

Here's a book I'm coveting at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Literature-Reader-David-Jasper/dp/0631208577/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I37QU2GZTRGA27&colid=K6K1I0X2V1JK

Take a look at the table of contents, it looks like it compares mostly novels, but maybe there are some short stories in there. Could you print off some portions of classical lit online, such as Paradise Lost and use them?

G. K. Chesterton would have biblical allsions for sure, along with Faulkner. I believe C.S. Lewis has some short stories too.