Menu

Looking ahead (I think?) - Acne/ Face... something

PeacefulChaos

Not sure the best title lol.  :Lol:

Not really mostly about acne, though it can come into play, I'm sure.  

Ok, so at what age did you (assuming that you ever did) start encouraging your kid to wash their face every night? 

I'm just sort of thinking.... Link has his first ever zit on his forehead, which I'm thinking is quite possibly just from heat/dirt/working.  He's still not wearing deodorant (doesn't need it - he's 12.  My 10 year old has been wearing it for 2 years because he needs it), etc.  He's still young.  So I'm doubting this is any sort of hormonal thing.

I'm just thinking about it because I'm sure it's coming up in the next few years.  

My original thought was/is this:

If acne becomes common (as in a zit isn't a rarity anymore), then maybe I should encourage the kid (whichever lol) to wash their face at night before bed.  I was originally planning to just get another bottle of oil cleanser exactly like what I use because it seems to be great for everyone's skin across the board, it's economical, and it's made out of good stuff.  But I don't know if teenage skin is any different than adult skin or older teen/younger 20s skin?  I wouldn't think that it is, right?  Skin is just skin...?

If that wasn't an option, I would maybe consider Cetaphil or something.  But I really don't want anything crazy.  Neither DH or I had much acne as teenagers... I mean, yeah, every time I had a zit it felt like my world was falling apart but when I look back it was like one zit at a time, not a total breakout.  So I'm kind of hoping that my kids will have that in their favor...

Anyway, any BTDT advice?

Well, I started encouraging daily cleansing when my son was about 12 but he didn't actually start doing it until a few months ago (he just turned 15). Now he's shaving and interested in girls, that makes a difference I guess.

I think you are right that skin is just skin but I'm not sure about using an oil cleanser on oily skin. I tried coconut oil on mine once (because it was supposed to prevent acne) and it made me break out. I would get a gentle oil free cleanser with salicylic acid in it and keep it in the shower so it's there when he takes a shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk