Menu

Latina Christiana DVD

lgliser

I'm flipping through the Latina Christiana teacher's guide for the first time.  We'll be starting school in a few weeks.  It's a lot more in depth than Prima Latina!  

We did get the DVD and I plan to put it in soon but until I have a chance, I thought you guys could answer this.  Does it totally teach the lesson for me?  Meaning then I will just review with them the rest of the week?  I would plan to play the DVD on Monday and then do Latin a little bit on Wed, Th, and Fri.  (Tuesday the kids are at a co op).

Thanks!

Yes, it does! The video does the lesson. How I taught my daughter last year out of LC was watch the video Monday. Then, she wrote her vocab words and grammar forms each day, did one exercise out of the book each day and we did a recitation each day. On days she didn't watch the video, it probably took us 10-15 minutes total.

Edited by KrissiK

Yes the DVD teaches the entire lesson.  They just updated them too for this year, so the DVD lessons are shorter and more to the point. :)

If you have the lesson plans, where it says "teach the lesson" is where your DC would watch the DVD.

If you have the lesson plans, where it says "teach the lesson" is where your DC would watch the DVD.

I have the Teacher's Manual and I don't see where it says "teach the lesson" anywhere.  But I did just watch the sample DVD snippet on MP's website and compared it with lesson 1.  I'm comparing it with the manual that I have.  It starts with the teacher greeting the students and what they reply with.  But in the manual, after the do the greeting and the prayer, it says "music."  But the DVD snippet didn't have music.

The rest seems to match up - vocab, derivatives, grammar.  

Yes, it does! The video does the lesson. How I taught my daughter last year out of LC was watch the video Monday. Then, she wrote her vocab words and grammar forms each day, did one exercise out of the book each day and we did a recitation each day. On days she didn't watch the video, it probably took us 10-15 minutes total. 

Did you use the reproducible vocab and grammar drill sheets in the teacher's manual?  And is the recitation like the prayer that you're learning at the time?

Thanks, guys!  I appreciate the tips!

I have the Teacher's Manual and I don't see where it says "teach the lesson" anywhere. But I did just watch the sample DVD snippet on MP's website and compared it with lesson 1. I'm comparing it with the manual that I have. It starts with the teacher greeting the students and what they reply with. But in the manual, after the do the greeting and the prayer, it says "music." But the DVD snippet didn't have music.

The rest seems to match up - vocab, derivatives, grammar.

Did you use the reproducible vocab and grammar drill sheets in the teacher's manual? And is the recitation like the prayer that you're learning at the time?

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the tips!

In the teachers manual on the left side of the page is what you do for recitation. Generally, it's reciting your conjugations and then reviewing vocabulary. It doesn't take long, but I think it's essential. To do well in Latin, you need to have those paradigms so well memorized that you don't even think about it.
  • Like 1

The music referred to in the lesson itself is on the pronunciation CD.  I believe it is referenced in the video lesson, but not in the same order as in the manual.  There's no recitation listed for Lesson I (because they have nothing to recite yet), but after that it is listed just under the opening on the left hand side of the lesson.  The video also has them do recitation, but if your kid is like mine they had a hard time reciting to someone who wasn't really in the room.  :) 

We did use the reproducible sheets to copy vocab and conjugations. 

Did you order from MP directly?  They are really great about answering questions over the phone/via email about their products if there is confusion that's not answered in the front of the book where it gives all the teaching guidelines.

Oh and I should say if you have the 4th edition of LC, which is the newest update, some of this may have changed because we used the 3rd edition last year.

Edited by JodiSue