Menu

Attorneys help me understand

Scarlett

We have an attorney to deal with custody and child support issues with dhs sons. And he came highly recommended. Last year we paid him $3500 for a visitation and child support modification....plus another $500 to a mediator. He totally screwed up the final order and Dh didn't look it over properly so hat is partly on Dh.

Now we need two things done. The oldest taken off child support ( xwife thinks Dh has to keep,paying so we need it clarified to her), and custody of the 15 year changed to Dh. It appears she is not going to fight the custody change. But we need it ordered by the court and cs changed to reflect that Dh has custody.

In May when the oldest graduated high school Dh contacted attorney and finally the last day of May he gave Dh a new figure to reflect oldest being removed. He said to just pay the lower amount and the judge would sign the order. Then Dh began calling him to get a custody modification started. The attorney won't. Take. Care of it.

Why? ,what is his thinking? What can we do to get this taken care of?

Call the State Bar and ask them for advice. Sometimes they will call the attorney and light a fire under his rear end without you having to file a complaint. I would also find another attorney to correct the first, and have the new attorney help you get reimbursement of fees for the defective final order. 

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

Call the State Bar and ask them for advice. Sometimes they will call the attorney and light a fire under his rear end without you having to file a complaint. I would also find another attorney to correct the first, and have the new attorney help you get reimbursement of fees for the defective final order.

But in reality won't that just piss him off and then we don't get good representation? He has good connections and we need that because of the crazy involved.

Right now we owe him nothing....he said he would take care of these new issues hourly....without us paying a retainer. But how long can wait? Should we wait? Before we just find a new attorney.

Edited by Scarlett

So he finally called dh back!  Yah.  :)   Maybe he is on the homeschool board and saw my post?  LOL

Anyway, he acted like 'oh no big deal'.  Dh told him the XW has a new attorney and so our attorney called him....then called dh back....apparently the other attorney didn't really know what he was talking about....then said, 'oh yeah I think they want to switch custody.' So our attorney acts like he can just get it all written up tomorrow. 

I hope it is that easy.

Also, dh told him that the XW is insisting that dh keep paying on the older one who graduated high school in May. Our attorney says no, you don't.  So hopefully her new attorney will educate her on that issue.

• Like 1