Menu

recommendations for fridge/microwave ??

teachermom2834

Looks like ds will be supplying the mini fridge and microwave for his room.  His roommate is bringing game system/tv/technology.

His school is tiny and doesn't have a rental program so we will buy.  The school website lists a 4.2 cu ft. max for the fridge and no specifications for the microwave.  

Does anyone have a specific model or deal they recommend?  I am thinking of letting ds take my old beat up microwave and getting myself a new one.  I have to remind myself he is hard on stuff and no reason for him to have something nicer and newer than what we have at home.  

Any specific recommendations of fridge or fridge/microwave combo?  Or anyplace that has a good deal?  We can take it with us to campus.  No need to ship directly there.  

You might want to first check with the school if there are power wattage requirements for the fridge and microwave -- your old microwave may be too powerful. Also, it may or may not fit on top of a mini-fridge.

We bought used through the local Craig's List, and got a fridge for $50 and microwave for $15, so way less than buying new. The fridge came from an office that was selling their old mini-fridge as they were getting a full size one, and the microwave came from a local warehouse on the outskirts of town that liquidates hotel furnishings, so there were lots of small microwaves to choose from, and they had not been used that much. Now that DS has graduated, we will be putting both back up on Craig's List in another week or two to re-sell, so that will end up hardly costing us anything! :)

I also recommend looking for a fridge with a full freezer with a little door panel (something like this one), rather than just a small, open freezer cubby in the corner of the fridge -- very few frozen dinners fit in those cubby-freezers. ;)

Edited by Lori D.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Craig's list is your friend on this. We got each of our kids a fridge that fit their needs that way. Dd needed one with a separate freezer. She is vegetarian and wanted to be able to keep some frozen entrees in case dorm meals lacked good protein options for vegetarians. We got this one for dd. Ds has this one. For ds I found this one for $60. 

If the college in question has message boards online or off, check to see what the graduating seniors are selling off. This might be the wrong time of year to start doing this, but year after year the fresman, sophmores, etc....can do this to save on the ongoing supplies they need.

You mentioned yours is hard on appliances, so this could be counted as an ongoing supply. :)