Menu

VP Timeline Cards

How much of each "topic" do students recite for each VP card.....I love the idea of memorizing cards, but I'm tailoring it to what we are using (Biblioplan). For example, what would a student say about creation....list out each day or just say "creation"? And aren't they put into song-form? Thanks so much. My lust for these cards is rediculous. :tongue_smilie:

Melissa in St Louis

I just have them memorize them flat out.

creation

fall in the garden

cain and able

etc

my friend who does classical conversations has them do the dates as well. some people teach from the back of the card, but i do not. we are doing SOTW and they go with it very well.

The songs include some extra info. For Creation the song includes what is created on each day. The songs also include many key dates and other tidbits like the names of the 12 sons of Jacob. The songs do not include all of the info on the back of the cards.

Classical Conversations only memorizes the card names and do not use songs to learn them. I much prefer learning the songs so that's what we do.

Heather

I just have them memorize them flat out.

creation

fall in the garden

cain and able

etc

my friend who does classical conversations has them do the dates as well. some people teach from the back of the card, but i do not. we are doing SOTW and they go with it very well.

This is exactly how we handle our memorization and it works very well. My kiddos are younger (8 y/o and 5 y/o), so we're focusing more on read alouds, LOTS of hands on activities (they LOVE the chicken mummy!!), and memorizing the basic chronology rather than all the minute details. I figure the next cycle through, we'll add the dates and more details into the memorization process.

Hope that helps!

Tammie in LA

My kids are doing the Classical Conversations program as well. They memorize the titles of each card. The Veritas Press song has a different order, so we don't use it, although I think it is great! If we were not doing Classical Conversations I would definitely use the Veritas Press Song. We use hand motions to many of the cards to help bring out key points about a card. At home we study one card each week. We memorize the date on the back of the card and include it in a timeline. We read the information on the back and I pick out a few key points about the topic for my boys to memorize.

If you get the enhanced cd that contains the pdf of the tm as well as the song, then you could use the Q&A sheet for each card in a variety of ways. You could read them yourself to get talking points as you discuss the cards. VP suggested in one of their epistulas recently that you take that info and turn it into a trivia game. In fact, when I wrote them suggesting they make a board game, they said they've been pursuing computer software for it. I'd rather have a board game, but I haven't had a chance to do that. It wouldn't be hard though to use any old board and make cards each week as you cover the next card. You can even make your coverage a little bit looser and just review the cards periodically asking what they remember about the events. I've tried most of those ways (everything from having dd do the worksheets to looser to...) and the trivia game method is the one I'm wanting to work toward. If only I had heard of it when we started, instead of now, when we're already through 3 of the 5 decks!