Menu

Irasshai--Just a couple more questions, I promise!

If you have used Irasshai, how did you handle grading?  There are no tests that I can find. 

Also, the book keeps mentioning additional resources that are on the website in the "for students" section, such as downloadable flashcards and writing practice sheets.  I can't seem to locate these.  Have they been taken down?

Thanks in advance.

I thought the flashcards were printed somewhere too.

As far as grading, we started w/me checking ds's work, and transitioned to him checking with me just looking to see that it was done (it took me forever to grade and he needed to see how to fix his mistakes). All work was done and redone until it was perfect. We considered it a course where he worked to mastery, so he got an A. 

• Like 3

Thank you.  Yes, the flashcards are printed in the book, but I was hoping for some I could download and print to avoid cutting the ones out of the book. 

As far as grading, we started w/me checking ds's work, and transitioned to him checking with me just looking to see that it was done (it took me forever to grade and he needed to see how to fix his mistakes). All work was done and redone until it was perfect. We considered it a course where he worked to mastery, so he got an A. 

So as long as they re-do the work and fix all mistakes, they get an A?  I don't have much experience yet with giving grades, so I didn't realize that was an option.  :)  Would this be an acceptable way to grade Latin too?  Because I will be making dd re-do all her Latin work until it's correct as well.

It is the way I graded many subjects. All work was done until it met my expectations. If it wasn't right or good enough, it was redone. I have seen people like Regentrude refer to it as teaching to mastery. Since subjects are done until mastered, they get an A. There were a few exceptions for me. Things like math, that can easily be tested, the grades were based completely on test scores. The same was true in subjects where we followed a defined curriculum that included tests. Even in these subjects, the homework was done and redone to mastery, so it was very rare that there was a grade lower than an A on a test. Subjects like writing and a foreign language I don't speak, we used the mastery concept based on the work they did and the standards I gave. There doesn't always have to be a test.

• Like 2

It is the way I graded many subjects. All work was done until it met my expectations. If it wasn't right or good enough, it was redone. I have seen people like Regentrude refer to it as teaching to mastery. Since subjects are done until mastered, they get an A. There were a few exceptions for me. Things like math, that can easily be tested, the grades were based completely on test scores. The same was true in subjects where we followed a defined curriculum that included tests. Even in these subjects, the homework was done and redone to mastery, so it was very rare that there was a grade lower than an A on a test. Subjects like writing and a foreign language I don't speak, we used the mastery concept based on the work they did and the standards I gave. There doesn't always have to be a test.

This is great, thank you. 

I used the video checksheets like quizzes (but told him he didn't have to remember classroom-person-specific answers, since that only makes sense if you are doing it with the video), so I did grade those. Homework he checked and corrected on his own. His grade was 1/3 Reading and Participation (did he actively engage with the videos, did he complete all the reading etc...), 1/3 quizzes (the checksheets as described above), 1/3 Daily Work and Discussions (did he do the homework thoroughly? Could he tell me what he got wrong, why, and how he fixed it? Does it make sense to him? Can he do some of the suggested conversations in the book with me? Does he show enthusiasm in learning the language and culture?)

• Like 1