Menu

For those in the know about bathtubs and bathroom remodels...

StaceyinLA

If I'm looking to select a tub, are the measurements I see online from the largest point of the tub, or are they usually just the tub itself?

Also, if my space is a little bigger than the tub, and I wind up doing an alcove versus a clawfoot (due to possibly not having matching tile to finish under the clawfoot), what do I do if I can't find one to fit my space exactly? I really don't want to have to bump out sheetrock because that's how it is now and it looks awful. I want all the walls to be flush.

Any input from those who have dealt with this?

I just got a pedastal tub to replace our clawfoot. If you like pedastal tubs it would eliminate the need to use as much tile.  I believe the measurements were the entire length of the tub.  I have a little closet at one end so I needed to be able to open the door.  The shower is on the other end.  There's a window on the wall so I wanted it centered.  It all worked out somehow.   Our water faucet for this tub come straight out of the floor and is not connected to the tub.

Are you SURE you want your walls flush? It is nice to have a little space around the tub to hang your head back a bit. 

In my recent remodeling/building, I did make the tubs generally flush with the space around them, but I was "building to suit", so I wasn't wasting space. So, I was using "alcove" tubs (they have special flanges built in to allow them to be installed flush and then the tile comes down over the flange . . . so it's all water tight. The alternative is a "drop in" tub that you "drop in" to a cut out on a piece of cement board and then can tile the flat area around the tub. I think this works great if you have at least 10-12" around all 3 sides. My spaces were too tight for that.

There was one tub, in my master bath, that I had an extra 8-10 inches on the "long" side of the tub. I could have set the tub back in more to have more (wasted) floor space in front of the tub, but instead, I had a short wall bumped out there, so the tub is installed like an "alcove" tub, but about a foot above the tub height, I have a full tub-length shelf . . . (I put a 10" wide granite slab there to match the counters.) That shelf is super nice for candles, pretty bottles of stuff, etc. So, anyway, if you have a weird space to fill (too small for a drop in tub) a little shelf thing like that is one creative way of using the space. It definitely made my tub area prettier because it has that nice granite and then invited some fancier tile work above the shelf. :) 

Measurements are generally going to be the "rough" measurements. Check the "specificatons/installation instructions" for the tub you are considering. In general, the specs are going to be for stud-to-stud, as the tub will be installed against the studs and then cement board (or a schluter system) installed on top of the flanges. So, if you're measuring finished space, subtract 1" or so for each tiled wall thickness and 5/8 to 3/4" for drywall. 

Be SURE to double check your tub selection with whoever will be doing the work. Send them the spec sheet to be sure you're ordering the right tub. My tile guy caught me right before I mis-ordered the wrong type of tub for one of the bathrooms. 

• Like 1

When I say I want my walls flush, it is because the tub that's in there now is just a big fiberglass one you put in as one piece. It was too short for the space it's in, so they bumped out the sheetrock from the walls on either end in order to make it fit. We want to go back flush all the way around the bathroom with the Sheetrock then put a clawfoot in the little alcove area (I may have to wind up doing an alcove tub if our flooring won't cooperate). I just don't know what size tubs I can look at because I'm not sure if the measurements I'm seeing are the overall length/width, or the actual tub area.

Edited by StaceyinLA