Menu

CLE Math and Language Arts

LauraBeth475

We used the math and there were seventeen lessons per light unit, including two quizzes and a test. We did not always use the quizzes and tests.

If you were to start at a lower level you can progress quickly because of they way the light units are set up. If you work beside your kids and check their work, the quizzes and tests really aren't necessary. And if you progress from one level to the next without a big break you can skip the first light unit of the level. Those first light units are helpful to have, though, if extra practice is needed on a specific concept.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1

And, yes, there's a lot of review.

I never used it much below level but I started using it because I had one child who took years to remember her facts.

I started a few light units below grade level for another child who came home for a year. Her grades in math were going down each year and she always tested as average on standardized tests. She spent most of the year doing CLE math. She had to take a private school placement test and they used a normed standardized test. After going through 8 light units, doing every problem everyday, she scored in the 98th percentile. That convinced me CLE is an amazing program. It worked wonderfully for my DD who was good conceptually but couldn't remember facts, and it brought my average kid's math skill up dramatically in a short time.

• Like 1

I own the LA for 3rd and we have the math from the 200's and up.  

CLE does have a lot of review and breaks things down into smaller pieces.  I love CLE and it can be wonderful for kids that need all that review.  That can be a huge help but it can also be a hindrance.  Some kids need more targeted "mastery" instruction.  Sometimes I need to give more practice on a new concept using manipulatives and a dry erase board before letting my kids continue on with the review problems.

I would give the CLE placement test before buying anything.  It has a bit different scope and sequence than some other math programs.  The placement test is free to download.  It can be a bit long so you might want to break it up into a couple of sessions.

Every first light unit in a level after the 100s is a review of concepts in the previous levels and is not indicative of the program as a whole.  They make for great review but can be skipped if a student is solid on previous levels.

Before leaping into CLE, though, I would ask if you know why your student is "slower".  You don't have to answer me.  I just was wondering if you actually know why.  If so, and your student needs a spiral presentation with lots of review then CLE may be a GREAT fit.  I really love CLE.

If not, perhaps evaluations might help?  If they are dyslexic, or dyscalculic or have other neurological issues just hopping curriculum might not help them without targeted instruction designed to work with how their brain functions.  I ask because I had a slower learner.  Two in fact.  Turns out they are both bright dyslexics and one is also likely dyscalculic while the other is dysgraphic. Getting answers has helped us make our homeschooling situation a lot more productive.  CLE is still a good fit, here, but I have to tweak it because of their neurological differences.

As for the TM, I highly recommend it.  Not only does it have some useful suggestions for helping a child if they struggle or need more challenge, it also makes grading the workbooks infinitely easier, contains additional targeted pages for specific areas of math that might need more work, there are alternative tests, etc.  VERY helpful.  The other benefit to having the TM is that you don't have to go digging through old light units if a student forgets how to do something.  Just look it up in the TM.

The addition/subtraction flashcards are set up really differently.  I LOVE how CLE has structured their flashcards.  They also have a wonderful math reference chart that I recommend if you have the money.  

The workbooks are nice because they really do look less intimidating.  The kids like finishing one and starting another.

• Like 1