Menu

Books about Machines for 9yo

MusicMama

My 9yo daughter is wanting to study machines this year; planes, trains, and gadgets. Does anyone have any book recommendations, maybe cross sections or explanations? She is a very good reader. I know there are a lot of applicable field trip options in our area but am clueless regarding the book options.

I know you asked for books but Discovery Channel has a show called "How Stuff Works" that could be quite informative. There is also a YouTube channel by a man who is a rocket scientist called Smarter Everyday.

My son enjoys Mechanical Engineering magazine, I'm not sure if you can find it at a library or not.

We have come home with lots of library books that explain how things work but I can't think of any titles off the top of my head.

• Like 1

DK How Things Work Encyclopedia

National Geographic Science of Everything: How Things Work in Our World (Pogue)

Everyday Machines and How They Work (Schneider)

Usborne: See Inside: How Things Work (Mason)

Lego Power Functions Idea Book -- book 2 includes vehicles

Dover Coloring Books: How Things Work: VehiclesEveryday Machines (ManNeill)

DK Visual Dictionary of Everyday Things -- lots of photos of inner parts of household items

The New Way Things Work (Macauley) -- simple machines: lever, pulley, inclined plane, screw, gears

How Machines Work: Zoo Break! (Macauley) -- pop up book

How Stuff WorksMore How Stuff Works (Brain) -- wide range of topics with a few mechanical/machines