Menu

Bilingual HS family

I've been lurking here a bit and getting some good ideas so here I am, ready to chime in and perhaps contribute some of my own!

We live in France. My kids are 6, 6 (twins, rather obviously) and 3. The elder two spent 6 months in preschool at age 3 and the experience convinced us all that it was not right for us. I work from home now and homeschool them bilingually, a difficult balance. For "maternelle" (preschool, age 3-5) we did no formal school program, just lots of reading, counting, playing and traveling, and they picked up the whole national program and much more, though their English is still much stronger than their French. Now that they are 6 we are trying to be just a bit more regular about it, to work through school manuals systematically and do a few hours of lessons each week when the little one doesn't interrupt us too intensely. They are enrolled in a correspondance school here in France and we are slowly slogging through the workbooks, and slipping in lots of English curriculum. I hope to move towards more formal schooling over time but, for now, most of what I see them learning, the stuff that will stick with them forever, still happens outside of official lesson times. 

:seeya:

Welcome!

I live a litte bit North from you :)

We homeschool in English-Dutch, but French is very important in Belgium so we try to settle that too.

In the Bilangual section you will find more homeschoolers with French as second language, I hope to see you there too!

Thanks, Loesje! I have just been reading the bilingual board and it's wonderful to find some other multilingual families to talk to at last. Homeschooling is growing fast in France (just like in Belgium, according to my Belgian acquaintances), especially here around Paris, but it's still very limited and there are not many resources out there yet. I hadn't found much specific support in the various French networks for homeschooling in more than one language, and there are a lot of issues that come up, especially now that the laws will probably be tightened by next autumn and we will have to follow the French curriculum to the letter. Hope to discuss these things with you soon!

Thanks, Loesje! I have just been reading the bilingual board and it's wonderful to find some other multilingual families to talk to at last. Homeschooling is growing fast in France (just like in Belgium, according to my Belgian acquaintances), especially here around Paris, but it's still very limited and there are not many resources out there yet. I hadn't found much specific support in the various French networks for homeschooling in more than one language, and there are a lot of issues that come up, especially now that the laws will probably be tightened by next autumn and we will have to follow the French curriculum to the letter. Hope to discuss these things with you soon!

O no...!

Changes in French Homeschooling Laws influences those in Belgium :(

The right to homeschool is in the constitutional law (so far), but the application of it differs in Flanders and Wallonie.

I hope for you it is only the content they will require, not explicite textbooks.

We have in Flanders, required 6th and 8th grade exams for the moment.

In Wallonie it is 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th 12th if I am well informed.

Enjoy your homeschool journey!