Menu

New Yorkers...What does your district allow for integration?

Cross-posting...

I'm meeting with our superintendent next week to discuss homeschooler integration within our distinct.

I'm hoping to advocate for our district to allow as much integration as is allowable under state regulations. So for example, AP classes, art, music, band, etc. But not sports, as that's not allowed per the State's Interscholastic rules.

So before I head in with him, I'd like to know what other districts in NY allow or don't allow.

Please comment with your district (or other ones that you know of), and what they allow/don't allow.

Thanks!

My district does not allow it.  In fact, the school board took a vote that specifically banned all non-public school students from any such activities. I have heard that a principal in a neighboring district allowed a former student to continue in the band.

I will add that my specific school district has been excellent when it comes to their obligation to provide special ed services to homeschool students. That has not been an issue at all. The high school  also did not give me too much hassle when it came to my older boy taking a regents exam...which is allowed as per NY educational regulations. But they were a pain in the butt about it, lol. They clearly had NO idea what the actual regulations are.

I'm sure you have done a lot of work on this, but I would suggest that you absolutely know the regulations inside and out. Bring hard copies with you to clear up any questions. It has been my experience that public school people have no idea what the actual regulations are. None. They know what they think the regs are, and it is almost always what someone else told them or what they think they should be.  More than once, I have seen friends in neighboring districts have to deal with a district that didn't know that there were NY homeschool regulations. They get a new person in who literally thinks they get to do whatever they want. And take notes. I have had administrators tell me one thing and then literally turn around and tell me the opposite two days later. When I pointed it out, they just shrugged.

And a superintendent won't do a thing without talking to the board. So offer to talk to the board. If he says that he needs to talk to them, ask when that will be.  Offer to be there to present to the board. Say you want to attend the meeting.  They are usually open to the public, but not always publicized. So, don't ask for permission to attend, just say you will be there and ask when and where it is.

• Like 1

My district does not allow it. In fact, the school board took a vote that specifically banned all non-public school students from any such activities. I have heard that a principal in a neighboring district allowed a former student to continue in the band.

I will add that my specific school district has been excellent when it comes to their obligation to provide special ed services to homeschool students. That has not been an issue at all. The high school also did not give me too much hassle when it came to my older boy taking a regents exam...which is allowed as per NY educational regulations. But they were a pain in the butt about it, lol. They clearly had NO idea what the actual regulations are.

I'm sure you have done a lot of work on this, but I would suggest that you absolutely know the regulations inside and out. Bring hard copies with you to clear up any questions. It has been my experience that public school people have no idea what the actual regulations are. None. They know what they think the regs are, and it is almost always what someone else told them or what they think they should be. More than once, I have seen friends in neighboring districts have to deal with a district that didn't know that there were NY homeschool regulations. They get a new person in who literally thinks they get to do whatever they want. And take notes. I have had administrators tell me one thing and then literally turn around and tell me the opposite two days later. When I pointed it out, they just shrugged.

And a superintendent won't do a thing without talking to the board. So offer to talk to the board. If he says that he needs to talk to them, ask when that will be. Offer to be there to present to the board. Say you want to attend the meeting. They are usually open to the public, but not always publicized. So, don't ask for permission to attend, just say you will be there and ask when and where it is.

One of the reasons I want to meet with the super before the Board, is to get an idea of WHY the district has never allowed integration. Dollars to donuts there are misconceptions on the Board that will need to be addressed.

But also, I want to gauge what, if any, support I might have from within. And if that support is paltry, I'd like to work on building relationships and hopefully...support, lol.

As more & more families homeschool, it's likely to come up more often for them:)

Our small districts seems more willing to work with us as they don't have a huge number of kids wanting to be in the school play or musical, etc, so there's that. But the logistics are a hassle, I admit.

Music, art, band are usually part of the school day, classes that count for credit- they are not extra curricular, so not open to us.

School won't get funding for your kid to participate, since there is no part time school option, so they aren't going to let your kid enroll in those.

My teens have found outlets for their interests (even in our very rural area, like yours) through community activities, rather than the school. Community theater, community musicals, youth orchestra & choir, dance, art studios, robotics, 4H are all available here, especially for jr high or older kids. We have to drive a bit to get to them, but they exist. And are better than what the school offers anyways- with a much more diverse group of participants.

Good luck!

Edited by Hilltopmom

In Florida, the lobbyist long long ago lobbied the state senate for many years...

homeschool Kids are allowed to participate in EVERY after school activity that meets after school hours, whether it's sports, band, club.  There aren't any real logisitc problems except emergency forms.

The school is required to evaluate kids for IEP but it's up to their discretion if they have the space to take them (such as speech therapy)-they get state tax dollars for every IEP so they are usually into that.  

One thing I will point out, my friend works at a Christian school that takes homeschool kids on a per-class basis, and she said the logistics can be tough if not terrible.  If class time goes over or under in other subjects, the homeschool kids have to sit and read, or show up late, or she has to hold the class to wait for them.  SOme of them don't have proper school manners and take a LOT more time to be taught the rules and acclimated to the classroom.  Other times, they show up on holidays to an empty school or miss days because they missed morning announcements, paperwork, etc.  It is a real hassle for her, and she says she's lucky- she only has one boy in her 3rd grade class that comes for two subjects and reads quietly when the class time changes.  She has teacher friends that have up to 6 kids that each come for different subjects, not all the same, and it's really a hassle for her.  So these are similar arguments you may get from the school board and somewhat legitimate.  

Good luck!

Thanks for the discussion folks!  I have an appointment tomorrow morning (Wednesday) to sit down with the Superintendent and begin the process of aligning all my ducks, lol.  If you pray, please do.  Pray for an open mind and a willingness to help, on his part.  

Thanks again!