Menu

Ack! Fleas!

TXBeth

So I just brought our (outside) dog in because she is bothered by the fireworks. I let her lie on a towel by my chair. She was agitated for a little bit but quickly settled with my hand on her neck. As the fireworks ended and I got ready to put her out, it occurred to me that I haven't put her frontline on (or bathed her) since early April. Please no flames; we've been distracted with DD's diagnosis and treatment, but I already feel horrible that the dog has been terribly neglected the last couple months.

Anyway, I got the frontline and parted her fur to put it on, and she was absolutely crawling with fleas! There were also a couple (dead) on the towel, but I didn't see any on the carpet.

I quickly put on the frontline and put the dog and the towel outside. Anything else I can/should do so we don't end up infested with fleas? DH already hates the dog, so I'm sure fleas living on the couch would be the final straw.

I would vacuum indoors daily for a couple days. Use the crevice tool. 

For your dog I'd get some Capstar tomorrow from the vet. Capstar will kill the fleas instantly. Frontline will take more time to work (if it even works at all; in some areas it's become ineffective as the fleas have resistance.)  because it's more for prevention than dealing with huge outbreak. 

• Like 1

I would vacuum indoors daily for a couple days. Use the crevice tool.

For your dog I'd get some Capstar tomorrow from the vet. Capstar will kill the fleas instantly. Frontline will take more time to work (if it even works at all; in some areas it's become ineffective as the fleas have resistance.) because it's more for prevention than dealing with huge outbreak.

It looks like I can get it at Petco or even Amazon. Would that be different from what a vet can give me?

Do I just give it to her once and it gets rid of them all? Or do it once and wait for eggs to hatch and then do it again, like you do with lice?

Thank you!

I was suggesting the vet because you can get it same morning. (we don't have fast shipping in Canada so ymmv)

Capstar only works for about 24h. It's just to get them off your dog & give the dog some instant relief. You'll have to consider if you want to repeat it a couple times based on how bad things are.  I've taken flea infested dogs which have had one Capstar + topical (usually Revolution) and they're totally fine with that & don't need repeating but they're coming into a pretty flea free environment. I think you will need to reasses daily & consider retreating with Capstar if you're still seeing significant fleas. 

You'll also have to assess how bad the environment is. I'd for sure wash all bedding etc.

Bombing the yard with a pesticide is an option too but  I really don't know about that as I've never dealt with an outdoor infestation.