Menu

History for k, 2nd, and 5th

jkl

I was going to do SOTW 1 with everyone, but I'm afraid it'll be a little too intense for my younger two.  This year my 10 year old learned about the 1800's (American history) and my girls listened to age-appropriate related picture books.  The year before, my older child did early American history.  Any suggestions for this age range beside SOTW?  Thanks!

If you want to do world history, Sonlight core B is an introduction to world history.

You could also spend a year studying geography with something like Galloping the Globe or Expedition Earth. Your older child(ren) could add reading biographies. My 7 yo loves the Who was? Series, and she's learned a ton reading these. Our library has a lot of them to choose from as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  I remembered I have WinterPromise's American Story 2, so I think I'll have my oldest do that and my younger two can do Elemental Science's Adventures in America.  We'll do ancients the following year.

Intense in terms of workload? Or intense in terms of emotional response to the reading?

SOTW is written as a first grade text, and we found that to be just fine. If your children are extra sensitive to emotional material it might be an issue, I guess. Do you have a copy to pre-read?

If it's workload then the younger can just listen. I might ask for at least comprehension questions from the 2nd grader... And probably narration as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1