Menu

Opinions on Homeschool Saxon vs. Regular Books

I have access to Saxon math books for 5th grade up, but not the homeschool version of Saxon math. Anyone have an opinion one way or another if I should stick with the homeschool version on go ahead and switch to the regular one? The regular option is obviously more cost effective for us, but is it worth it to have the homeschool version? Thanks for your advice, and have a great one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kalliemorgan

Are you talking about Saxon math? I'm not sure what "homeschool Saxon" means. I think they have a grammar, too, which is really Hake. ??

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, homeschool Saxon math versus regular Saxon math. Difference in setup....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the homeschool Saxon 1 and my son used Saxon 1 in 1st grade in public school. I don't have access to the teacher's edition, but from what i remember the actual work the kids do and pattern of lessons in the hs and classroom versions seems almost identical. They both have a morning meeting, a worksheet with two sides (one side done with the teacher and one side done independently), and fact practice. The homeschool book also schedules in things like calendar, counting by 2s, 5s, etc, temperature and other things I remember my son learning in school. I hope that helps.

Probably you'd get more answers if you talk "editions". The homeschool books are mostly third edition (with at least one second edition). Are the "regular" ones you are talking about the fourth edition?

Otherwise, there are no differences other than Saxon has fourth editions publish and is still releasing the third editions as "homeschool" editions.

The fourth edition has geometry taken out, the third has it integrated. The fourth is more CC aligned--more stats and probability.

I decided to use the fourth edition Alg 1 and 2 with my dd, but others are really loyal to the third. I think both are fine, I just wanted the added content and I have a geometry program I love, so I didn't need one integrated. I would say, if it saves money, use the regular.

Probably you'd get more answers if you talk "editions". The homeschool books are mostly third edition (with at least one second edition). Are the "regular" ones you are talking about the fourth edition?

Otherwise, there are no differences other than Saxon has fourth editions publish and is still releasing the third editions as "homeschool" editions.

The fourth edition has geometry taken out, the third has it integrated. The fourth is more CC aligned--more stats and probability.

I decided to use the fourth edition Alg 1 and 2 with my dd, but others are really loyal to the third. I think both are fine, I just wanted the added content and I have a geometry program I love, so I didn't need one integrated. I would say, if it saves money, use the regular.

Thanks for the responses! That helps a lot, thank you! You just saved us a bundle of money by explaining that to me [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2