Menu

Engaging curriculum/resources for the study of U.S. states and presidents, plus world geography for fourth grader?

pitterpatter

We are year ahead in the four-year cycle (although, not as much in history anymore, as we only made it to the start of World War II this past year), so I would like to take the year to study/memorize the U.S. states and presidents and probably state history, world geography, in addition to finishing up the rest of modern history this coming year. I think we will likely forego science, or pare it way down to a few short unit studies.

I'm looking for highly engaging curriculum/resources for the study of the U.S. states (more than just straight geography of the location of the states and capitals) and presidents, plus world geography for a fourth grader who has dyslexia (with the deficit lying heavily with spelling, so anything with copious amounts of writing is not appropriate). She responds best to curriculum with pictures, attractive design and good stories.

I'm looking for something more than just memorizing the order of the presidents. We've studied the major ones up through FDR. DD easily falls in love with the stories of their lives, and we'll continue to study them as we finish up history. Some kind of mini book or interactive notebook or something with paper games/cractivities to aid in the memorization of not only their order, but the high points of their lives would be nice, this particularly so for the lesser known ones.

I'm open to all types of resources, even TPT products, if the products are creative, quality and well designed.

The only thing I have my eye on right now is Simply Charlotte Mason's Visits to Geography series.

Any recommendations/suggestions? TIA!

Edited by pitterpatter

Try Disney.  They have a 3 volume dvd set of The Presidents and an app that has much of the same info condensed into a scrapbook.  They're absolutely hilarious and spot on.

We used Learning Adventures Vol. 3 with that and How The States Got Their Shapes as a supplement, because LA has them go through American history along with the creation of the states and focuses on each president in turn (only to 1860, though, unless they've come out with a vol. 4). We have also used Animaniacs songs for learning states/capitals and presidents.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder about those Disney DVDs. We watched a couple of segments for some early presidents we studied. DD was interested in watching more, but we totally forgot about them. I will look up your other suggestions, as I'm not familiar with them. Thanks!

Try Disney.  They have a 3 volume dvd set of The Presidents and an app that has much of the same info condensed into a scrapbook.  They're absolutely hilarious and spot on.

We used Learning Adventures Vol. 3 with that and How The States Got Their Shapes as a supplement, because LA has them go through American history along with the creation of the states and focuses on each president in turn (only to 1860, though, unless they've come out with a vol. 4). We have also used Animaniacs songs for learning states/capitals and presidents.