Menu

Need writing program suggestions

Melissa B

Any suggestions on a writing curriculum for a weekly co-op? I need something that I can work with the kids on once a week in class. They can submit work to me through email during the week. The age range is 3rd-6th grade. I know it is a large span! I would prefer secular. Something that really works on paragraph and essay skills. Ideal grade level is 5th. I'm struggling with the once a week aspect of the class.

I really like Writing and Rhetoric for my son. The speaking and discussion parts are great, and would be perfect for a co-op. I wish I could figure out how to utilize the speaking section better in our homeschool. The writing sections are well written enough that my son does those pretty independently. If you choose W&R, I would suggest starting with Narrative 1. I think it would be the most appealing for your age range, even though it doesn't work essay skills. Chriea and Proverb is good for essays, but it may be difficult for your third graders.

• Like 1

I ordered Narrative 2 to look through. The majority of the students are 4th-5th grade. I'm hoping I can work it so that the youngest students can hang in there and the oldest students still feel challenged. I thought the Chreia and Proverb book looked too difficult for the younger students as well. This program does feel like a good fit. I'm looking forward to receiving the books and sharing them with the other families.