Menu

Please help me choose a textbook for language arts with literature!

We've been using living books that go along with our history studies, but now we need something that is less time-intensive for me and more straight-forward for the girls. They are asking for short stories instead of novels, and they like workbooks. So I'm looking for a textbook/anthology + workbook/worksheet format, 6th or 7th grade level. (And we will supplement with a few novels also because I just can't let that go entirely!) I've been googling and looking on Amazon and reading reviews...and my head is spinning! Please help me figure this out!

Here are my must-haves for a textbook literature and language arts program:

• affordable -- I'm actually looking at previous editions so I can get everything cheaper. (Trouble is, sometimes the TE's and workbooks that go with a particular OOP student text aren't easy to find.)
  • grammar & vocabulary included in the main textbook (or at least in a supplementary workbook) -- preferably based on the reading selections in the textbook
  • MAJOR (primary) emphasis on vocabulary & writing, secondary emphasis on reading skills/literary analysis/elements/devices (theme, setting, character, plot, figurative language, foreshadowing, alliteration, hyperbole, etc.)
  • step by step writing instruction with rubrics/checklists for the student
  • good quality stories, preferably "classic" short stories or excerpt of literature by well-known authors (think: Ray Bradbury, O. Henry, Edgar Allan Poe, etc.)

I've been looking at the previous editions of these programs: BJU Explorations in Literature, MacMillan-McGraw Hill Treasures, Prentice Hall Timeless Voices Timeless Themes, Holt Elements of Literature, Glencoe Writer's Choice, and others. Which of these would you recommend?  Or feel free to suggest another.

ETA:  As I am thinking this through, I am realizing that I am not seeking a literature program.  I am looking for a writing program that incorporates literature, vocabulary, and grammar.

Also, I do not want an independent program. I will be teaching the lessons each day and assigning some homework to be done independently at home.

For the record, my students are NOT my personal children.  They are teen & preteen girls (5 of them), children of friends (or friends of friends). I try to keep costs low because the majority of my students are from single parent homes. Mosdos literature has been suggested, but it is not in our price range.

Edited by ereks mom

Have you looked at MBtP lit units? Written to student, covers all of language arts, the cost is affordable if you choose the online curriculum only option and get your books from the library, and the assignments are broken down by day, step by step. You could put both kids in the Ages 11-13 curriculum. That does have some shorter selections (Greek myths, lives in medieval times) but not the short stories of modern convention.

Have you looked at MBtP lit units? Written to student, covers all of language arts, the cost is affordable if you choose the online curriculum only option and get your books from the library, and the assignments are broken down by day, step by step. You could put both kids in the Ages 11-13 curriculum. That does have some shorter selections (Greek myths, lives in medieval times) but not the short stories of modern convention.

I've looked at MBtP and it's too pricey for us, and the online component will not be a good fit. I teach 5 girls and computer access would be a problem with so many students. Also, we would have trouble getting enough copies of books from our small town library.

FWIW, my own children are adults, graduated from our homeschool program. Now I teach struggling learners who are the children of friends (and friends of friends). We meet daily at my husband's office and we have school in his conference room/classroom. Anyway, all that to say that I need a textbook program, not an online program. Thanks for the input!

Edited by ereks mom

Did you consider LL7 / LL8 ?

From your list I would go for BJU Literature + Grammar&Writing, If you have the TM of G&W there is a CD in it with additional printable, BW worksheets.

I have only used the elementary years of G&W, but sometimes the BW worksheets seemed more effective to me.

That would get the G&W cost down.

I'm not sure if it would be enough if you have the TM + CD from G&W but it would be worthwhile to check I suppose. 

• Like 1

I was really impressed with collections, but I think it may be pushed out of your price range. I would not do it completely like it is supposed or prescibed, but I believe it does most of what you are saying. And I love the audio component of close reading that shows analysis by example (we are using the online/digital format) You can request a sample and it will allow you access to the full program for 30 days.

• Like 1