Menu

Question about MFW ECC - Reading List

bfw0729

In the appendix of the teacher's manual there is a recommended list for general reading. ECC is meant for 3rd-8th grade, but why do the recommendations stop at 6th grade and up? There is no 7th grade or 8th grade and up recommendations.

Also, with regard to the book basket, do you "fill" the basket every time there's a new country? For example, Japan is covered during weeks 27-28, would you exchange out the old books from the previous country to the new ones recommended for Japan and the science books surrounding those weeks?

We did not use ECC with an 8th grader, but we have used it. The idea behind the book basket is that it is not required reading, but you would only put books for the current week in the basket. Also, I believe that in lieu of the book basket for 7th and 8th grade, you would use the supplement instead which is scheduled (http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/11882/7th-8th-Grade-Supplement-for/)

Hope that helps!

Edited by MamaD4

regarding the question about the General Reading list, which is not the same as book basket list....   6th and up can include some materials that 7th and 8th graders can read if they want.  However, that general reading list is for "reading time" on the grid for elementary age.  You read, and have child summarize and narrate. For reading time on the grid in MFW 7th/8th grade, those students are doing 2 progeny press guides for intro for more formal literature analysis.    Specifically MFW recommends that 7th/8th graders in ECC give Anne of Green Gables, and Swiss Family Robinson a try with Progeny Press guide.  More information on that is on their language arts page under progeny press. (sorry, that sounds like a information voice over on an ad in my head when I typed that  LOL LOL) 

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/21/Language-Arts/#Progeny_Press

but yeah, open that up with progeny press guides and it should show more info.

My oldest did ecc in 2nd and repeated it in 7th and still enjoyed many books from book basket and didn't care about level.  She did the supplement books mamad4 mentioned for (edit...the mistake there) reading time on grid as well.  And 2 progeny press books and guides.  Additionally, she enjoyed reading without formal analysis or study guide for other things.    (this is my now college student so it all worked out)

Edited by cbollin

oh, and also in my house, book basket had a lot of flexibility.  If a book wasn't read until "later" than it matched the country or continent, we just called it built in review time  :)

mfw has a lot of books in different goals so all of the lists can have overlap.

book basket: thematically connected via geography/history/science/other.  if you don't get them all, it's ok.  if you don't finish, that's ok. it's like walking into a book store and sipping a drink and browsing

reading time: that's where you have your child reading stuff that can be from book basket, or from "general classics" list.  encourage to finish those books.  narration.  add progeny press in 7th/8th.

read aloud: the deluxe package stuff.  a few tissue boxes were needed. sniff. sniff.  I mean, like duh, I knew the ending, and still cried. poor kids of mine.

and ecc jr. high:  they read those independently, but don't have to be "tested" or quizzed on it.   We opted to read those books a little bit ahead of student just so we knew what it was about.  keep it casual.

anyway, just another memory lane trip for me today from all those years.  thanks :)