Menu

Math Lessons for a Living Education

jkl

Has anyone used book 1 or book 2?  Is it really light?  What would I have to add to it (if anything) for my 7 year old working at a 1st grade level (for next year).  I know this was offered free not too long ago, but now MasterBooks carries it.  I'm assuming they changed it, at least a little??  Thanks!  Any info is appreciated :)   

Whether it is light or not will all depend on where your child is and what you expect from that age level math. Yes, it is very different since MB carries them now. There are samples of levels 1 and 2 at cbd that you can look at. They have added more problems and color. I can't remember what else has changed for those levels. 

Just for the record for anyone else who has an older child and is reading this thread : Angela is in the process of writing book 6. 

I printed all the levels when they were free.

I think level 2 would work well for a 7 year old. Level one is pretty easy. I am probably going to have my 5 year old use a bit of the level 1 next year.

Thanks!  She places into level 1, but it seems so easy from the samples....

Whether it is light or not will all depend on where your child is and what you expect from that age level math. Yes, it is very different since MB carries them now. There are samples of levels 1 and 2 at cbd that you can look at. They have added more problems and color. I can't remember what else has changed for those levels. 

Just for the record for anyone else who has an older child and is reading this thread : Angela is in the process of writing book 6. 

Thanks!  Did you use book 2?  Did it include enough practice?  I just can not decide what to do for this child for math.  She is a bit of a struggling learner.  We are just starting MM1 now, and I'm not sure it's a great fit for her.  She loves loves loves loves stories, so Math Lessons seems perfect for her, but I can't tell for sure.  I know I want conceptual and easy for me to teach. I wish I could look through the book and then decide!!

Edited by jkl

We used level 1 and part of 2 before I had to drop it due to life. I had to start working outside of the home and I needed less hands on at that time. Broke my heart, but by the Grace of God I was able to continue to hs regardless. For my dd, yes, it was enough practice. But for her less is more. Every time she would see a page full of numbers she would through up a bring wall. She had a great fear of math. MLFLE was our answer! As soon as I was able I put her back in it, and she has loved it. The only level we have missed is 3. When looking at the samples consider that some of the work comes in the form of using dry erase sheets that are not in the samples. Also there will be hands on lessons involving your home or simple maniputlatives (provided). This is conceptual and easy to teach, so you are covered there.  :thumbup:

We used level 1 and part of 2 before I had to drop it due to life. I had to start working outside of the home and I needed less hands on at that time. Broke my heart, but by the Grace of God I was able to continue to hs regardless. For my dd, yes, it was enough practice. But for her less is more. Every time she would see a page full of numbers she would through up a bring wall. She had a great fear of math. MLFLE was our answer! As soon as I was able I put her back in it, and she has loved it. The only level we have missed is 3. When looking at the samples consider that some of the work comes in the form of using dry erase sheets that are not in the samples. Also there will be hands on lessons involving your home or simple maniputlatives (provided). This is conceptual and easy to teach, so you are covered there.  :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your experience!   From the samples, it looks like Day 1 is the story and some type of practice, then the next 4 days are practice in the form of a worksheet or hands-on activity.  Would you say that is accurate throughout all levels you have done?  Do the lessons take  lot of teacher prep time?  Thanks so much! :)

I would say that it is accurate, except at times the story lessens and the practice expands.

The most prep time you will spend is in cutting and putting together the manipulatives. I don't remember what year one has. But I remember at some point (Y1 or 2) a clock (we used a plastic one we already had, but this one is plenty sufficient) and a  place value village (loved this!). There are a little more but not a lot. I can't remember which level starts the dry erase boards for working from, but those can be slid in page protectors if you don't have a laminator. Easy peasy either way.  In level 4 I think, there are fraction manipulatives to cut. These were the hardest as I had to measure them out and cut. I don't know if there are ones already printed in the new books though (<<<that would be a nice improvement). The lesson called for the child to do this, but it was too difficult for my dd so I did it and just let her use them. 

I just flip to the back of the book and do any prep at the beginning of the year so there are no surprises when I don't have time.  Other than that you will need to gather food for cooking once or twice in the year. There were a couple of times (don't remember which years) that poster board was called for. We just used paper due to limited space. Mainly just simple things: grab a yard stick or ruler. Things like that. And not every day.

I would say prep is minimal except for the fractions cards (unless they are printed out for you now).  

• 11 months later...

So I know this was started a year ago, but one of my gurus mentioned this curriculum and I wanted to check to out. Looked online, but it is hard to get a good feel.

Did you end up using this? What did you think? Dd will be 8 in October and starting 2nd grade work. We have been using Singapore which at times works well, at times it is a nightmare. It does seem like this MFLE is not as intense, and I am questioning how it was for your daughter? Did you go with level 1? Was it too light?

For everyone else who has used this also, what did you like/not like? For someone coming off Singapore 1, would we lose ground going to level2?

I want a curriculum that is slightly vigorous, but less confusing for us than Singapore has been at time. Something between Saxon and Singapore. This is obviously so different, I would love to hear what you all have to say! Thank you!!!

So I know this was started a year ago, but one of my gurus mentioned this curriculum and I wanted to check to out. Looked online, but it is hard to get a good feel.

Did you end up using this? What did you think? Dd will be 8 in October and starting 2nd grade work. We have been using Singapore which at times works well, at times it is a nightmare. It does seem like this MFLE is not as intense, and I am questioning how it was for your daughter? Did you go with level 1? Was it too light?

For everyone else who has used this also, what did you like/not like? For someone coming off Singapore 1, would we lose ground going to level2?

I want a curriculum that is slightly vigorous, but less confusing for us than Singapore has been at time. Something between Saxon and Singapore. This is obviously so different, I would love to hear what you all have to say! Thank you!!!

I am not the OP, but I would recommend having your daughter take the placement test on the Master Books website. The scope and sequence of MLFLE is very different from Singapore. I have one son in MLFLE 3. I supplement him a little with Singapore 2A/2B (just the HIG and Textbook). I have another son in MLFLE 1. Both of my children enjoy MLFLE. I like that it teaches the concept before teaching the procedure. MLFLE helps my kids understand the "why" behind the math problems without long lessons.

For me, I don't think there is anything I don't like about it. It gave my dd what she needed to lose her fear of math. And it is fun. Doesn't take all day. Teaches math in a way that it is useful in everyday life.

I can't say if you would lose ground as I don't have any experience with SM beyond the few weeks we tried it. I agree with the above poster about taking the placement test.

I would not say that this curriculum is slightly vigorous, but for us it is a TON less confusing than SM. I wouldn't compare it to Saxon for rigor either.

Let me just say that we most of the series thru the 5th level and hated that we missed part of the series (but it couldn't be helped at that time). Dd did soooooo well with it that we were burdened that there were only 5 levels. Then Angela decided to write level 6 at the prompting of MB. Boy on boy were we excited! But as writing curriculum goes, it takes time. I was not able to just wing math for a year while waiting, so I put dd in ACE. She is 3 paces shy of finishing level 6. I looked over the samples and the TOC of MLFLE to compare where dd is now and it appears that most of the book will be review for her. After going back and forth and praying, and chatting with Angela I have decided to let her do level 6 to get a solid hold on math before moving on the Principles in Math (recommended next math that MB puts out). It is all in the WAY Angela teaches the math that dd relates with so well. She did fair with ACE, which is your typical math, but with MLFLE she soars. Just the fact that I am willing to let her do a year of review now that level 6 is out, is testimony to how well this program has worked for my dd.

• Like 1

I am the OP.  We actually ended up not using it, but perhaps we should have!  We got half way through CLE 1st grade and she got completely overwhelmed (granted, we are in the process of getting her evaluated, so there may be some learning disabilities here).  Good luck to you!