Menu

Can you help me find this interview/news show?

fairfarmhand

Was listening to npr today. (I think it was the BBC news portion, but I'm not certain)

They did a segment on being thin. They interviewed models, anthropolgists, and others commenting about the perception of beauty and thinness and bigness.

It was quite interesting and I wanted to listen to it again.

Especially the part with the anthropologist who worked in Fiji.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and where to find it? I've done some goodgling and looked at the NPR station schedule with no luck.

I'm not sure if this is it or not...  It's a segment that talks about refugee camps, but also being thin?  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03w90qk

YES! That's it. The final segment was the one that I heard. Didn't know there were other pieces put in with it.

It was a very interesting segment. I loved what the anthropoligist said about traditional Fijian women.

Something along the lines of "They saw their bodies as if they were a gift and it is what it is. There wasn't an emphasis on thinness or fatness. They just accepted what they got"

• Like 1

YES! That's it. The final segment was the one that I heard. Didn't know there were other pieces put in with it.

It was a very interesting segment. I loved what the anthropoligist said about traditional Fijian women.

Something along the lines of "They saw their bodies as if they were a gift and it is what it is. There wasn't an emphasis on thinness or fatness. They just accepted what they got"

Sounds like a good program to listen to!  I love NPR.

Sounds like a good program to listen to!  I love NPR.

yeah, it was also kind of sad. Especially the model they interviewed. She seemed that she couldn't come to terms with a normal body after so many years of being told to be a human coat hanger.

And the young Nigerian lady they interviewed seemed so much less accepting of her body than previous generations of Nigerian women.

• Like 1

Just listened to it.

The quote was, wrt to the native fijians "They said, What do you mean, Big is Good? You know you don't really own your body. It's kind of given." And so there wasn't this personal drive for people to cultivate their body as some sort of brand or personal presentation of self."