Menu

Harmony Fine Arts in a co-op?

I'm looking at doing Harmony Fine Arts in a co-op setting.  How long would it take?  Could we squeeze it into 30-45 minutes for the 5th-8th graders (we could assign homework)?  Looking at Grade 2, Grade 6, and High School grade 9 (that one I know takes an hour).  

I've never taught HFA in a co-op setting, but the plans are very flexible, so I think it would work fine.  Not knowing much about your co-op setting (how many classes, class budget, etc.) I'm not sure what else you're looking for.  I've only used the logic stage plans, and they generally have a picture study each week.  Some weeks have links to other pictures online or videos.  There is an optional Artistic Pursuit lesson (which we haven't done at this point).  There is also some other resource scheduled.  For 6th grade it's a lesson from Draw Squad.  These often tie into the artist study, but not always.  At the end of the one month study, they complete a notebook page.  In a co-op setting, you could do one artist per week or spend several weeks on one, depending on the number of classes you have to work with.  We did the 6th grade book, and my 6yo through my 13yo all enjoyed it, so the logic stage books can be used over a large age range.  

I'm not sure if you're adding the composer, but the CDs they suggest for 6th grade might be a bit more difficult.  They really need to be quiet while listening to these (since there is a story being told along with the music) and they are pretty long.

Edited by Holly