Menu

Romans Road Media Old Western Culture- Greeks and adding Bravewriter... too much?

I'm still working on getting plans settled.  I really don't want to fall back on the outside co-op option I have because I want us to be home and it's expensive, too.  I also have our internet limitations to consider, but there are class options out there and I'm working through figuring it all out.  Question for the option that I'm considering right now... RR Old Western Culture Greeks and adding Bravewriter...I think ds would benefit from composition work/help and needs to work on all the different types of compositions, not just essay writing in the RR course.  Would this be too much?  It seems that with BW, the courses are short intervals and can be taken on and off, so it seems like it would work, but, this is my first rodeo at high school homeschool and with these courses, so I have no idea.  :)  Help, please...  thanks.

Is your student a strong reader who enjoys dense books? I cannot comment on BW, but Roman Roads has serious reading. The pace is not crazy fast, but definitely not meandering. If the student has had little exposure to dense classics and reading twenty pages a day, the workload might feel daunting.

There is very little writing in RR. It is much more like a college course that way. In general, it is expected that the student is doing a reading journal which helps them gain their thoughts. The workbook takes a scaffolding sort of approach. It can be used for discussion or as a journalling tool.

• Like 1

One thing about bravewriter it is not cheap, so if you are looking at saving money it might not be the best option. Also, I imagine you would have to take a lot of courses to equal the one english credit.

My almost 12 year old has started The Greeks and will soon be starting One Year Adventure Novel, so doing both concurrently. We are also planning on probably doing Bravewriter Expository Essay course in the next 18 months (he has done Bravewriter Kidswrite Intermediate previously) but that would be for him to pick up some skills and because he likes the Bravewriter courses, not counting towards an English credit. So I guess this is my way of saying it can be done, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

• Like 1

One thing about bravewriter it is not cheap, so if you are looking at saving money it might not be the best option. Also, I imagine you would have to take a lot of courses to equal the one english credit.

My almost 12 year old has started The Greeks and will soon be starting One Year Adventure Novel, so doing both concurrently. We are also planning on probably doing Bravewriter Expository Essay course in the next 18 months (he has done Bravewriter Kidswrite Intermediate previously) but that would be for him to pick up some skills and because he likes the Bravewriter courses, not counting towards an English credit. So I guess this is my way of saying it can be done, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

The RR course (3 credits) and 2-BW course together would be cheaper than the two outside class options we have (by about $200), plus more time spent on the road that you can't put a price on.  :)  I'm not concerned with the credit for BW, but for helping him write.  I've heard good things about BW, but yes, it's not cheap. 

Roman roads is only 2 credits - one history and one literature. It was never intended to be a full English (lit and comp) credit as the writing is so limited. You might want to review their "About" pages which detail hours, specifics of assignments, and transcript credits.

My mistake. Omnibus is 3 credits. I'm looking at different things. It's all clouding together. I watched the intro videos on both today.

Yeah, no theology in RR. Omnibus is in a bit of a plagarism pickle right now. If that matters to you, you might want to check it out. Omni is definitely much more reading and time commitment than RR. It does not offer writing instruction, but does include writing topics.

I was on the fense about chosing between Omni and RR. We chose the reading list of Onmi with the videos of RR and Great Courses to round it out. Ds is a Humanities kid though. He was all for it, but would happily spend 3/4 of his day reading or watching Great Courses.

Is your student a strong reader who enjoys dense books? I cannot comment on BW, but Roman Roads has serious reading. The pace is not crazy fast, but definitely not meandering. If the student has had little exposure to dense classics and reading twenty pages a day, the workload might feel daunting.

There is very little writing in RR. It is much more like a college course that way. In general, it is expected that the student is doing a reading journal which helps them gain their thoughts. The workbook takes a scaffolding sort of approach. It can be used for discussion or as a journalling tool.

We've used dense books from the beginning (AO as our main lit curriculum) with oral and written narrations, as well as reading many pages in all his subjects. It won't be a huge shock to him. I've tried to prepare him. They will do a better job than me at this level, though. 😊. I really like what I've researched already.

Yeah, no theology in RR. Omnibus is in a bit of a plagarism pickle right now. If that matters to you, you might want to check it out. Omni is definitely much more reading and time commitment than RR. It does not offer writing instruction, but does include writing topics.

I was on the fense about chosing between Omni and RR. We chose the reading list of Onmi with the videos of RR and Great Courses to round it out. Ds is a Humanities kid though. He was all for it, but would happily spend 3/4 of his day reading or watching Great Courses.

Hmm, I've not heard about that. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Roman roads is only 2 credits - one history and one literature. It was never intended to be a full English (lit and comp) credit as the writing is so limited. You might want to review their "About" pages which detail hours, specifics of assignments, and transcript credits.

My mistake. Omnibus is 3 credits. I'm looking at different things. It's all clouding together. I watched the intro videos on both today.

**ALERT**  There are TWO Roman Roads classes for The Greeks. The one through Roman Roads IS now a 3 credit class:  English, Literature, and History.

Through Roman Roads, you can SIGN UP for another option taken from Schola Tutorials that drops the lit component.

Link to Option 1.

Link to Option 2.

Not that I've been through this very same confusion myself, or anything.  :001_smile:

• Like 3

**ALERT** There are TWO Roman Roads classes for The Greeks. The one through Roman Roads IS now a 3 credit class: English, Literature, and History.

Through Roman Roads, you can SIGN UP for another option taken from Schola Tutorials that drops the lit component.

Link to Option 1.

Link to Option 2.

Not that I've been through this very same confusion myself, or anything. :001_smile:

Oh, good! I thought so, but figured I got it confused with looking at other things. Thanks!

• Like 1