Menu

Intro to Cultural Anthropology

Has anyone every done a study like this with their high schooler? My ds is 10th grade next year and showing interest in this field so I wanted to put something together for him, but there's not much out there for this level. Right now, I'm looking at books I used in college to see what I might be able to use with him, but I'd love some suggestions!

Thanks!

I don't have any personal suggestions but have done some basic searching for local schools that offer this course. I would first look on college websites or MIT Open Courseware (or similar) to get recommendations for materials. You may even be able to find a class and syllabus that you could do on your own schedule. My daughter is also interested in Cultural Anthro after taking AP Human Geography thru PA Homeschoolers. The local CC offers the class online, which she may do her senior year. Next year is already making me cringe with 2 public HS classes, 3 online classes, 2 classes at home, PSAT/SAT/ACT testing, and all the extra curriculars she does.

Here's the MIT Opencourseware page for Cultural Anthro classes.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=socialscience&subcat=anthropology&spec=culturalanthropology

Hope this helps!

Edited by brookspr
  • Like 2

Anthropology of Current World Issues (edx) - free, self paced course and has very good reviews

Human Origins (edx) - Paleoanthropology - free - it is possible to earn college credit through ASU for this course. I didn't have a chance to finish this course but I did part of it and the lectures were very good and were presented by the famous paleoanthropologist, Donald Johanson (discoverer of "Lucy").

People & Cultures of the World (Great Courses) 

Cultural Anthropology (straighterline)

Edited by 3andme
  • Like 4