Menu

The Amazing Race

Is anyone else watching tonight? I am so excited they are still in Brazil, because I used to live there, and it is bringing back many fond memories. But, I am also annoyed because most of the contestants keep speaking in SPANISH to the Brazilians! :banghead: One of my pet peeves is that many Americans don't know that Brazilians speak Portuguese. Sarah is the only one who is consistently getting it right, so I am rooting for her.

Is anyone else watching tonight?

Yes, I'll either watch it in a bit here or tape it to watch later this week. I was bummed that the older hippies were out from the get go. (Not that they made any effort to actually RACE. Good grief, they were moving slowly!) They were the only unique team. The others are are all so stereotypical. Meh!

I am so excited they are still in Brazil, because I used to live there, and it is bringing back many fond memories.

Fun! It's always cool when they're in familiar places. Last season (I think?) they were on the Croatian coast, where I spent a week years ago. I was reminded how beautiful that area is!

But, I am also annoyed because most of the contestants keep speaking in SPANISH to the Brazilians! :banghead: One of my pet peeves is that many Americans don't know that Brazilians speak Portuguese. Sarah is the only one who is consistently getting it right, so I am rooting for her.

Yeah, I imagine many Americans don't realize that. But most people aren't fluent in Portuguese; maybe they're hoping the Brazilians will understand Spanish better than English...? (Why am I defending them?:tongue_smilie:)

One of the great amusements (if I can call it that) with Amazing Race is watching the boneheaded comments made by contestants. Like "these taxis look like they've been playing bumper cars". Some of the contestants are SO clueless about the way most of the rest of the world lives. But I like it when the lightbulbs go on and they become more grateful for what they have back home.

Some interesting teams this season!

Janet

One of the great amusements (if I can call it that) with Amazing Race is watching the boneheaded comments made by contestants. Like "these taxis look like they've been playing bumper cars". Some of the contestants are SO clueless about the way most of the rest of the world lives.

The worst was Kendra, several seasons ago. She ridiculed and whined about virtually everything non-Western. "We're stuck in all these third world [spoken with utter disdain] countries! I wanna go to Europe or something!":001_rolleyes:

Some interesting teams this season!

Oh, that's funny! I just posted and said the teams were stereotypical.:D For the most part, it's the same ol' young dating couples and young spandex gals.;)

One of the great amusements (if I can call it that) with Amazing Race is watching the boneheaded comments made by contestants. Like "these taxis look like they've been playing bumper cars". Some of the contestants are SO clueless about the way most of the rest of the world lives. But I like it when the lightbulbs go on and they become more grateful for what they have back home.

Me too. :001_smile:

Oh, I think the Brazilians understand the Spanish that the contestants are using. It's not like any of them are saying much beyond "Faster!" or "Please" and "Thank you." Anyone who's ever seen a Speedy Gonzales cartoon could understand those Spanish terms.

Remember the team who were cousins... one was a "little person?" (Smirna? Shrmeerna? I can't remember their names.) Anyway, they drove me nuts because they spoke to everyone in a LOUD accent. They were speaking English, but because they were loud and sounded like Balki from "Perfect Strangers" they assumed they were understood.

Rgh.:glare:

I truly enjoy this show. The computer nerds seem like truly nice guys, and the one did a pretty good Yoda impression:lol:

Those two guys seem like genuinely nice people as do Dallas and Toni. I love the way that Dallas interacts with his mother, so patient and encouraging.:001_smile:

I think it's terrible that those two dumb "divorcees" are still there. Not because they are divorced but because they are so dumb! Hello? Did they see anyone else looking for a canister?:lol: Don't even get me started on the taxi thing.

I was very sad to see the couple that I liked, the one couple that actually stopped to notice how poor the area was and be thankkful for what they had in the U.S., get eliminated.

I love the way that Dallas interacts with his mother, so patient and encouraging.:001_smile:

Have they ever had a mother/son team on the show? I recall several father/daughter combos, but not a mom and son. Toni and Dallas do seem to have a very cool dynamic. She is pretty tough yet gentle; I loved her line about stopping to help Sarah and that guy: "I'm just a mom." It will be interesting to watch them as the season progresses!