Menu

Torn between MP & WTM/eclectic approach for 1st grade

I'm trying to decide on 1st grade materials for my daughter and can't decide. I could use some advice. 

She's currently using mostly CLE (Learning to Read and Math 1) but says she doesn't like the CLE books. She's made great progress with them, though. We're about halfway through both math and LTR which are technically first grade subjects, although she is a kindergartner. She's also finished Singapore Earlybird A & B and is now on Singapore 1A. We've also started FLL and she enjoys it, although there is a lot of repetition. We are also currently using Memoria Press' Enrichment Guide and loving it. 

I'm debating over whether to switch her all over to MP for 1st grade, but I'm just not sure. I love the look of Storytime Treasures and like the idea of having things scheduled out.  If I decide against MP, I'd probably go the route of WTM route of WWE/FLL. In either case, she'll do some interest-based history and science coinciding with what her older brothers are studying. 

My older boys love CLE and do very well with it -- and to be honest, I'm super comfortable with it and find it easy to teach, so I'm a bit hesitant to totally switch her over. 

So ... thoughts on MP's First Grade? Or on how a more eclectic approach worked well for you for 1st grade?

Edited by poikar

Can you just keep using WWE/FLL alongside MP's Enrichment?  Have you looked at MP's Interactive Planner for primary grades?  I purchased their planners, so I could combine materials we already own with some of MP's curriculum.  I really like the format of their lesson plans, but didn't want to go with full cores for everyone, so this seemed like a good choice for us.  It did take a bit of time to work everything out for 4 DC, but I'm really happy with our personalized lesson plans!

My rising first grader will just be using the Enrichment, poetry books, and art cards.  She'll use a mix of curricula for the remaining subjects, although I tried to make it fairly similar to MP's 1st grade program.

• Like 1

Holly, what is the Interactive Planner? I can't find anything about it on their site. Is it just the digital edition of their lesson plans? Are those editable? 

Can you just keep using WWE/FLL alongside MP's Enrichment?  Have you looked at MP's Interactive Planner for primary grades?  I purchased their planners, so I could combine materials we already own with some of MP's curriculum.  I really like the format of their lesson plans, but didn't want to go with full cores for everyone, so this seemed like a good choice for us.  It did take a bit of time to work everything out for 4 DC, but I'm really happy with our personalized lesson plans!

My rising first grader will just be using the Enrichment, poetry books, and art cards.  She'll use a mix of curricula for the remaining subjects, although I tried to make it fairly similar to MP's 1st grade program.

Holly, what is the Interactive Planner? I can't find anything about it on their site. Is it just the digital edition of their lesson plans? Are those editable? 

• Like 1