Menu

Trism

I am looking for one year of "relatively" independent study of history for an 8th grader and came across the website for Trism Curriculum. It seems intriguing, but I can't get a clear picture of exactly the curricululm is....anyone familiar with it?

Thanks,

Myra

We're using Trisms this year, Discovering the Ancient World, with my 9th grade dd, and 10th grade ds. I just asked them last week whether they were enjoying it and they both really like it. The curriculum is completely researched based. The research sheets are divided into art, music, architecture and civlization. There are literature assignments for each unit based on literature that is included in the curr. and in addition to that there are additional reading assignments for each unit which are included as book lists and you pick one for each two units. There are also science history assignments for each unit. The authors recommend IEW for the writing portion of the program and the literature assignments are pretty specific to that method of writing, though it would be possible to complete the assignments without using IEW.

HTH

I am using TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World with my 8th grader and he isn't quite able to work independently. It may have been better for us to have used the middle school book, History Makers. As usual, I pushed him into something that was recommended for older kids because I have a habit of pushing too hard. It really isn't a problem for us, he just needs a tiny bit more help than he would have if we had used History Makers this year and then DAW in 9th grade. All in all, he is doing fine. He would prefer a textbook approach because the old "read the chapter and answer the questions at the end" is easier. A student can just skim over the pages to get the answers that way. Ds learns so much more having to find the answers by digging. Trisms doesn't give answers, only questions that the student has to find the answers to. We don't have any trouble getting through a unit every two weeks, but I can see how it would be difficult if you have a student who gets so interested in one item that he can't move on to the next. We don't have that problem here because ds just wants to get done with school work, and actually for a kid like this, a curriculum that makes him search for the answers is best. It won't let him get away with finding a quick answer. I didn't describe the curriculum because another poster did a great job already.