Menu

4th grade science

lgliser

Just kinda thinking things out here.  We have done science with MFW and then Science in the Beginning this year.  With SITB, I printed off some sheets that someone had made to help them notebook.  I think the notebooking is what made them hate SITB.  

Part of me wants to say ok, we'll do something more "fun" this year so you don't have to write a lot, but the other part of me is like, writing is a part of life!  

I don't know.  They like experiments but I hate doing them!  (We do them anyway).  

I'm researching what we will do for 4th grade.  I'm thinking about just asking them what they'd like to study.  I think they will either say "just do a lot of experiments" or a study of animals.  And I wouldn't think that would entail any experiments.  

So my questions would be I guess:  It's not horrible to make them notebook, right??  And what science would be FUN for 4th graders?

We are not notebookers here either. It feels like busywork to my kids (and me too really). And we learn science just fine. :)

We hated Apologia elementary and quit after the first lesson. We enjoyed SITB but did the bare minimum in a plain ruled notebook. We've also done Mr. Q, which alternates between reading and worksheet type busywork (my oldest DD likes those) and experiments with very high quality lab report activities. The life and earth science was good and would be appropriate for 4th grade, but I'd steer clear from the chemistry and physical science.

We are trying God's Design for Science next year. No notebooks required. :) We'll see how it goes ...