Menu

Thinkwell ...Geometry? anyone use this?

I just noticed that the Homeschool Coop has Thinkwell courses on sale for the next four days.  The courses look pretty rigorous-I originally went to the site to look at the Biology but it looks a bit more than what my 9th graders need.  I may just get it to use for specific topics.  BUT what I really want to know if anyone has used this site for Geometry.  From the sample video, it looks pretty tame and the course outline looks good.  But I would never do something like this without some pretty good reviews from others who have gone this route......anyone???

Thanks

amy

I strong recommend TW's 6th grade, pre-alg, and alg1.  My son is up to Chapter 4 in TW geometry.   I am not impressed. There is just way too few problems for mastery (a common criticism of most TW classes).  Will probably switch at the next Tablet Class sale. 

I have a 9th grader doing Thinkwell Geometry this year.  She is decent at math, but she doesn't care for math (never has - she is very strong in language).  I think her main issue is that so many things come easy to her, but she has to work at math, so she thinks she's not good at it, which isn't true.  Anyway, I think it's a decent enough program, and it is serving its purpose for us this year.  She is about halfway through the program (we started the year with a textbook on our own and it just wasn't going well, so we switched.  She will be finishing Geometry this summer).  She is happy with the program and prefers it to what we were doing.  She does not plan to pursue a career in which geometry will really matter, so I am not worried about what she will carry forward with her.  I don't know that I could have found any Geometry program that I would have been completely happy with in regards to this particular child, but Thinkwell is working for us, so I am glad we chose it.   I do have to spend a considerable amount of time helping her.  Anyway, just my thoughts. 

My daughter used Thinkwell Geometry last year and enjoyed it. I needed to outsource something, and she enjoyed the lessons. She did all the worksheets and quizzes and did very well. I didn't need to help her and she didn't need additional sources. The Geometry was far more than what was covered in my Geometry class in high school. There may be more in depth books, but it served our purpose, as I needed to outsource something.

She did start their pre-calc this year and felt overwhelmed. In their sequence, it was listed as following Geometry. She definitely needed Algebra 2 first. We switched over and she has been doing their Algebra 2. We will likely switch to something else next year for pre-calc.